Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT I bought a Weber today. (1 of 2)

Let me Egg-splain.  I love my Eggs (large and mini).  You can't beat them for low and slow, indirect, pizzas, stir fry, etc.  But, lets face it,  as my old friend Stike used to say, "relax, it's only a grill".  As a grill, it's OK but nothing special.  And, in my case, it lacks a quality that I need.  Many of my Japanese grilling recipes call for a sear of the meat, then move over to a cooler part of the grill to complete the cook.  We do this with the Trex method for cooking steaks, but that requires a 20 minute cool down period for the Egg. (Note: maybe XL users can divide their grid, but not me on a large).

So, I had a need for this technique on a new recipe I wanted to do (see (2 of 2).  It worked perfectly.  I'm happy with my new purchase.  It will join my entire arsenal of cooking equipment that includes the Egg, oven, stove, and microwave).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    What Weber did you get? I will always have a kettle. Some things I just like better off the kettle. Can never have enough cookers. I'm waiting for my Blackstone pizza oven. Can't wait.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    No 'splaining  necessary.  Same reason I got the Lodge Hibachi.  Gives a great sear on the CI grid before going on the Egg to finish a steak (or the reverse if reverse searing), and can't be beat for quick burgers and dogs.  Just another option so you can use the right tool for the job.  
    What Weber did you get? I will always have a kettle. Some things I just like better off the kettle. Can never have enough cookers. I'm waiting for my Blackstone pizza oven. Can't wait.
    Smokey,

I don't know the model numbers, but it's the kettle that's 22.5".  It cost $99.  There was one just like it for $149, but the only difference I could see was that the expensive one had a thermometer on the dome.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    More the merrier, right tool for the right job.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Your still invited to the Salado EggFest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Your still invited to the Salado EggFest.
    Can we call it The Salado Weberfest?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    No.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Mickey
    +1 on that NO
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I still have a gasser and use it for a quick cook now and then. Did lots of low and slows on it before getting an egg.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The more expensive one probably had an ash catcher. I would have gone for that one personally. But, yes it is much easier to cook with 2 zones on a kettle.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2013
    After I got my second egg, I gave my my Weber to a co-worker.

You can't use your mini to sear and then move it to the large for roasting? 

You missed an opportunity for a third egg.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99 said:
    After I got my second egg, I gave my my Weber to a co-worker.

You can't use your mini to sear and then move it to the large for roasting? 

You missed an opportunity for a third egg.  ;)

Sure, I could have done that, Rag.  And, I did just that on a similar cook a couple of months ago.  But, I know of about 20 recipes and more that I want to cook that call for this technique, and lighting and monitoring two fires is much more inconvenient that the kettle approach.  The grill only cost $99.  I've spent that on an Egg accessory in the past.

P.S.  I had three Eggs and sold my Medium from lack of use.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have a Weber as well. There is a tool for every job.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    JR did you just call VI a tool? Cool........

• This used to be a much friendlier place.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    edited October 2013
    Cut me some slack old man. Have not had a/c from Friday. 12 years old unit and decided just to replace. So this was Sat early and he did bring a window unit that sounds like a 757 ready for take off but it will hold the bedroom at 70. New unit due Tue... I may be a bit snippy till then.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2013
    My God, Dude.  Are we allowed to say "****" on this forum?  It's 71 friggin' degrees outside.  I grew up in Houston without a/c...... 102 degrees, 95% humidity was normal.  Man up, Mickey !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    For a friend, you suck.

• Mickey said:
    For a friend, you suck.

:D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    We do this with the Trex method for cooking steaks, but that requires a 20 minute cool down period for the Egg. (Note: maybe XL users can divide their grid, but not me on a large).

Yes this is much easier on an XL. As a friend I am sure Mickey would sell you an XL at friend discount. But $99.00 for a weber nice buy VI.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Mickey
    six_egg said:
    We do this with the Trex method for cooking steaks, ="QuoteText"> 
    Yes this is much easier on an XL. As a friend I am sure Mickey would sell you an XL at friend discount. But $99.00 for a weber nice buy VI.

First fact: I would charge VI double++ on anything. Second fact: I don't sell Eggs.

• Third fact.  His boss says he doesn't sell cars.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Come March in retirement the thing I will miss most is not having the time to screw with VI on this forum.

• WHAT?  After you retire, you can't come to the forum??????

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Blasphemous. I am reporting you right now!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I would think after retiring he would spend more time on here....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Blasphemous. I am reporting you right now!
    I've been kicked off of much better forums than this.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I want the Simpsons Weber. Have been looking for awhile but they are expensive when th elarger models come up for sale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gitgan/91852487/

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

If anyone is near Ft Collins Colorado there is a nice one for $60. This usually goes for a couple hundred on ebay.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/for/4097748098.html

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Blasphemous. I am reporting you right now!
    I've been kicked off of much better forums than this.
    That was good times, VI. Thanks for the reminder.

My God, Dude.  Are we allowed to say "****" on this forum?  It's 71 friggin' degrees outside.  I grew up in Houston without a/c...... 102 degrees, 95% humidity was normal.  Man up, Mickey !!
    To further your argument, the last sentence should be "Nut up, Mickey!!"