Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubbery Chicken

Options
seal
seal Posts: 13
I have cooked several whole chickens since I got my bge a couple of months ago.  I have tried different methods of cooking each time.  Beer butt, in a pan, and naked.  Each one has had a good flavor, but has a consistently rubbery texture.  I always keep it at 325 and vary the time according to weight.  Any input on improving the texture is appreciated.  All of this is practice for my plans to do this year's thanksgiving turkey.

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Are you cooking to temp? Get a good instant read thermometer and cook till 155 and let it rest for 10 minutes or so. And have you tried brining?
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Oh, and look up spatchcocking your bird if you haven't already and try doing it raised direct. That's the only way I'll do my turkeys now. With a coffee rub.
    Dunedin, FL
  • seal
    Options
    Thanks.  I have brined a couple of them but same result.  I have not looked up spathcocking but certainly will.  Today's was the first one direct, and again, same result.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Welcome, good advice from @yzzi above. 
    Throw away the beer can idea, use the stand if you have it but no liquid needed. 
    Suggest raised direct, spatched (cut out the back bone, open the bird like a butterfly) and cooked bone side down at 400º. Put the legs toward the hinge, the egg is slightly hotter there. Cook until breasts are 150º legs at 170º, pull and tent foil rest for 10 minutes. Rubber is gone.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Short advice: 400 direct and raised.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Yep, mine came out rubbery like that going Beercan low-temp and indirect. (disgusting) Then I found some inexpensive pre-marinated split breasts at HEB and tried raised direct 425-450 and never looked back. 3 half breasts bone side down on a 16" cheapo grid propped up on beer cans. After letting them rest I like to de-bone and slice up the breasts like a brisket to make sandwiches and what not. Cheap, Easy, and Good.
    Gittin' there...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Good advice here. Try leaving the chicken uncovered in the fridge overnight and then give it a light dusting of cornstarch. Raised direct is best.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Welcome. 400 raised, direct.
    Snellville,Ga.
  • seal
    Options
    Thanks all.  I'll definitely be trying these suggestions.  Common theme looks like I'm using too low a temperature.