Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new medium egg - grilling idiot

So I won a medium egg and it just arrived. My sister and I slapped the base of a table together this morning. I need to mill up some boards to finish it. Hopefully this weekend. I am itching to step up and make something. I am a complete grilling novice... wish me luck.

Comments

• Good luck and welcome to the lifestyle!

Make sure you have something between the bottom of your egg and the table; either a paver stone or some type of "feet".

This forum can be an excellent resource for educating yourself on how to get the most out of your egg. Don't be afraid to ask questions; we will answer anything!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome, and congratulations!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Great win! Welcome aboard.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Welcome aboard...now do you mind telling us about this contest? At least here in IL I know of 3 mediums that were won by people who didn't want them and quickly put them up for sale on CL. But none would say what contest or anything about it. Thank you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Congrats and welcome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Do not use the word "idiot" and grilling in the same sentence. This is THE place to learn how to tame the BGE beast. Like any good recreational drug, once you get started, you'll have to feed the habit.

Welcome and Enjoy.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome aboard and grats on the win. You will love BBQ more than ever now.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Nice, congrats!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Nice score.  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome bearcat.  Definitely be sure to put a paver in between the egg and the table.  Otherwise you could end up with a fire and a broken egg... you don't want that.

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited October 2013
    Welcome!

If you don't have one yet, the single best thing you can do IMO  to improve your cooking is to get a reliable food thermometer. Many love their Thermapens (~$100) but the Thermoworks RT600c is a very reasonable alternative (~$20). This will allow you to cook to temp, not time.

Folks will chime in soon with all kinds of tips. Have fun! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Cook 'em up!
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Welcome! We have few rules, but one we all go by is "Without pictures, it didn't happen." Enjoy yourself! I'm looking forward to seeing your cooks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bearcat
    bearcat Posts: 41
    I actually looked at BGEs at a local store. Decided I couldn't justify the purchase. Then a few days later saw that there was a contest at a local grocery store. Very oddly run contest. Anyway had been running all summer - I entered on the next to the last day. As far as thermometers I have an infrared that I use with my wood fired bread oven. Is that what you mean?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Was it a HyVee store? Was it a mere drawing or a contest that you had to enter? No the infrared is not what was suggested...the Thermapen is 3 second instant read that is quite popular amongst eggers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Enjoy....you'll soon wonder how you lived without your Egg. This is my first year and am absolutely loving it.
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • bearcat
    I am in Maine and don't know that store. But it did seem to be a contest being run by a bunch of different grocery stores in conjunction with each other and a snack food company. You had to access it on FB. It was a little confusing. Ok I will look for a thermometer. First I need to finish my table and get a piece of stone to keep it off the table. Thanks.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    First word of advice   Learn to burp the egg.   You will thank me later
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    You WON an Egg?!?!  :-O  We all hate you.  Go away!

:D

j/k, of course,  Congrats, and Welcome!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @RRP the HyVee stores around me had a contest that was backed by Heineken. I think it was more a regional then a local contest though. Never did hear where the winner came from.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome as one MBGE owner to another MBGE owner. 
    best to have an air gap under your egg, with a non-combustible surface below the egg. I use a table nest without the table....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bearcat
    This contest gave an egg a day for a couple of months.

I considered putting it on my small porch but a woodstove is enough fire danger for me. Off the porch I lack horizontal surfaces and winter weather is coming. Table seems safer.

Thanks for the burping suggestion. Ouch. I singed a few hairs feeding the bread oven last winter.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    bearcat said:
    I actually looked at BGEs at a local store. Decided I couldn't justify the purchase. Then a few days later saw that there was a contest at a local grocery store. Very oddly run contest. Anyway had been running all summer - I entered on the next to the last day. As far as thermometers I have an infrared that I use with my wood fired bread oven. Is that what you mean?
    Just wait until you have to start justifying all of the accessory purchases you'll want to make.  

In addition to an instant read thermometer (e.g., Thermapen) you'll also want to consider some type of remote device for keeping up with your cook and meat temps if you want to do longer cooks. A lot of eggers use the Maverick dual probe unit. I have one and it works really well!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Ugly but functional table done. Next step creating a semi horizontal spot.
  • Ugly? I think its pretty ascetically pleasing... i mean at least it will be when the egg is inside it  :))
    Beaufort, SC
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Ugly, my butt!  You got a nice set-up there!  Slap on a little dark  stain so your "cooking spills" don't show and get grilling.

Welcome and enjoy the journey.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon