Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moldy Egg? Please HELP!

Options
Our Egg resides on the back patio. My husband placed all the racks etc inside after our last cook....when I went to open the egg up to use it after a couple weeks, it was covered in fuzz on the inside....we have taken out everything except the firebox and fire ring and scrubbed the heck out of it all. The fire ring has some fuzz on it too....I am unsure of cleaning for the ceramic parts.....do we just do a big burn? I know we aren't to use cleansers do any kind on the ceramic parts.....should we simply load it with fresh lump and burn away at a high temp? Will it be safe for use after that? Have we ruined it? How do we prevent this from happening again?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Burn it!!  Just let it rip and that stuff will be long gone.  No need to scrub, disassemble, etc.

To prevent it, leave the bottom draft door open.  If you have a EggWare/SmokeWare cap, leave it open too.  Otherwise, I just leave the lids open on mine if rain and high winds aren't forecasted.  You could also close the lid on a BBQ brush, and just leave it cracked a inch or so.  You just need some airflow in there--that's all.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    mold dies at low heats so im pretty sure its safe just to bring it up to cooking temps and wipe it off with a brush. theres no real need to go and clean it out other than it looks nasty before you light it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Burn is the answer, no need to go nuclear, fill it to the bottom of the fire ring take it to 500 or so and then let it burn out. Pile as much of the stuff you have, setter, grids, DFMT etc in it to clean them up as well. For a 500º "utensil cook" you can control the heat with the bottom vent only, lets you de-fungus the DFMT as well. And no you didn't ruin it, you simply seasoned it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Happend to mine and I just do a preheat burn and all is well but now I know to leave the bottom vent open a crack.  Thanks
  • islandegger
    Options
    Was so wet here this summer we had the same problem. Just fire it up and it will all burn off. Good advice about leaving the bottom vent cracked

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I think it happens to everyone at least once... I lit mine up to 1200 degrees for about 10 minutes using a hair dryer and all was good. Nice clean slate to start from.  :)

+1 on leaving the bottom vent open as well...
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    +1 more on leaving bottom vent cracked.  I actually just shut down my egg by putting on the rain cap and closing the vent to a crack.  I might waste a little lump this way, but chances are I won't remember to go back and open it once I am full of food and adult beverage.  I haven't had any mold problems since I started doing this. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's MOLD in your egg!?  Oh noes!!!

TK TK gifs
    edited October 2013
    Options

The bigger question is......................why are you not cooking on the egg for such long periods. You have to eat 3 times a day.

If I don't cook on it for 2-3 days I feel guilty.

• BulldogNation
    Options
    Thanks all! I have been stacking shifts at work in preparation for my vacation which started yesterday....not much planned, more of a stay cation really, just rest, egg cooking, and then flying into New Orleans just for the day next Thursday to celebrate my birthday.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks all! I have been stacking shifts at work in preparation for my vacation which started yesterday....not much planned, more of a stay cation really, just rest, egg cooking, and then flying into New Orleans just for the day next Thursday to celebrate my birthday.
    yay NOLA!  Happy B-day!
    Thanks NOLAegghead! I am taking a cab straight to Cafe du Monde and spending the day traipsing around the Quarter! Hoping to eat at NOLA for lunch and Three Muses for dinner!
  • BulldogNation
    Options
    So today we are doing the big burn off....after we fired her up, there was condensation on the outside, which ran down and dripped off....some remained and dried up on the outside like ash almost....but a weird rust color.....looks like it will wipe right off.....is this normal?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Mine stays outside typically and it needs a good burn right now. I peeked the other day and some mold had sprung up. The off color condensate is probably water that got in the ceramic and was coming out. It happens to eggs kept outside.