Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Cook Temps & Cook Times

I got my egg back in September and I have had pretty good success with a variety of different things so far.

Steaks, burgers, rack of lamb, pork butts, pizza and cedar plank salmon.

We eat steak pretty often and I am still learning the cook times etc of certain steaks on my egg.  i.e. We have some fairly thin NY Strip steaks and I have found that if I get the Egg up to 700 or higher, a minute on each side gives me the perfect temp.  I cook all my steaks rare to medium rare.

I have had similar luck with thicker rib eyes doing them at about 2 1/2 minutes on each side, but I struggled with Filets the other day getting the temp right.

So, I was wondering if anyone has a chart or basic grill temps that they cook different cuts of beef and cook times etc.  I am starting to make a chart for me so that I don't need as much trial and error, but if anyone out there has already suffered through the trial and error I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i dont go by times anymore since getting a thermapen. i use the trex method with thick steaks, 122/123 for thick strip steaks, 125/127 internal for thick ribeyes seems to work well for me. i lean more rare on a chewier strip steak. do a search on trex and hot tub steaks and reverse sear, thicker steaks do better with these methods
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    +1 on @fishlessman comments. For thicker steaks - anything over 1", I use reverse sear. The temp changes are very slow as you are cooking indirect at low temps <300º. When the IT is 5-10º below target finish temp, pull the steaks and sear. You can do this in the egg by waiting for it to come up to high temp, a few minutes at most, drop them into a hot CI pan on a side burner or use an infrared burner. Because of the slow cook, the meat takes on spice and smoke much better than a TREX, which can burn everything but the salt off in the first few seconds, IMHO. With Trex I think it is better to season after the cook. It all works, find out what works for you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Here's a link with additional info on the trex and reverse sear cook methods:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef  BTW-his main site is a wealth of ceramic cooker info.  Give it a good look sometime-may help with answering additional questions.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Here is a link I found awhile back.  Hope this helps.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    I've been searing right on top of the lump, dome temp 600ish. Take out and rest, put in platesetter, stabilize around 450 dome, then roast to around 125 internal. Always err on the side of too cool. You can always make it more done but you can't undo overdone.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • I would like to thank everyone for the advice and links.  I have some reading to do.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Just want to put in another vote for the T Rex Method.  I've found it preferable to all the others I've tried (with the reverse sear being a close second).   
    Southern California
  • I get the dome temperature to 600ish and cook for two minutes, turn them and cook for another two minutes, and then turn them one more time and shut off all the vents and cook for three minutes. They turn out great as you can see from the pictureimage