Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging drunk and stupid

What's the biggest #@&( up you've had on the egg?

Was off yesterday and indulged in a copius amount of PBR. Cooked cowlick chili and I was a little disappointed with the results. Having read how awesome it is I racked my brain on what I did wrong. Went out today to prep the egg and found a bowl of spices that was supposed to go in the chili. On top of that I left the egg open and had an impromptu clean burn. Stop drinking, no. Post it notes, yes.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Do you have a handle left? When I leave the dome open too long, the wood handle gets plenty hot. I would think a clean burn that way would fry the handle.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    No... It's ok. Better than my pride.

(:|
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Did a spatchcock chicken several weeks back which came out good. Decided to pull some to make a grilled chicken burrito since the egg was still hot. Put the burrito on and made another drink and found the burrito several days later when I went to fire it up again.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    @Mickey. That's a nice clean burn! Ceramic is all nice and white. Also, those are some great looking ABT's! What did you stuff them with? :-O

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Wish I was drunk
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2013
    Mine didn't involve drinking - in fact it was a Sunday morning casserole. Recipe listed various ingredients including 6 eggs and 2 quarts of very hot water etc etc . I mixed them all up, poured into a casserole dish and on to the egg. At the end of the intended 45 minute cook that watery mess had not changed and was yucky sloppy. I then went back and reread the recipe steps and the 2 quarts water didn't go into the casserole but was the writer's way to pre-warm the casserole dish! Needless to say the liquid mess went down the drain! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The good news is I bet if you put those spices in and simmer the chili for a while it will be good to go! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    Going to try...
  • henapple
    WeberWho? said:

Wish I was drunk

Wtf?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was loading up the egg, drunk and stupid (as usual), and I put in two big branches from a pecan that I chopped up for smoke wood.  I threw on a big chuck roast thinking "pulled beef".  I must have had bad smoke the first 8 hours.  Great looking bark, but ended up tasting like pure creosote.  It was inedible.  Fed it to the neighbor's dogs. 

To this day, I can't stand pecan.

Fail.
    If I had been sober when I f*cked up a cook, I would probably remember details to regale you with :) My stupid is baseline though - unaffected by adult beverages.

I think I would be more concerned if you STOPPED the drinking while egging.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    Wish I was drunk
    Wtf?
    If I recall correctly that was big green egg vs his pick up truck.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    henapple said:

WeberWho? said:

Wish I was drunk

Wtf?

Ran it over with my truck
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Had the wife go to the butchers and get wings. His wings are from 5-7 pound roasters and are really big. Had her lay them out in the beer fridge overnight, seasoned, cornstarched, put them on the egg and went to watch the hockey game with my sons. End of the first, several beers in, go to check the wings and a roaring fire was going on. Left the dome open. That was three weeks ago.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Wow, I can't compete.  The worst things I've done are leaving thawing food out overnight and discovering I am running a culture, and the worst ever, glad I was wearing glasses flashback when preparing for pizza.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wasn't actually egging, but I told SWMBO how much I spent on a rub run. I was punch-drunk, not actually imbibing.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Maybe you guys need one of these? It would be for "multi -tasking " eggers! http://sport.woot.com/plus/holster-up-drink-holsters-2
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • WeberWho? said:
    Wish I was drunk
    that made me cry...............and I damn sure would have been drunk after the fact if I were you. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    We have hands to hold beers.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Was a few beers in during a pizza night with friends.  The egg was up near 700.  I felt it needed more lump, so I decide to reach in and take out the platesetter to re-fill it.  As if that wasn't stupid enough, I used a pretty standard oven mitt, one that had a sort of rubber padding on the end to handle a max-heat of probably around 300 degrees.  I grabbed the platesetter.  Smoke everywhere.  Burning rubber smoke.  I didn't realize what was going on at first.  Finally, the platesetter starts burning my hand.  I put it down and I notice a thick tar all over it.  The rubber from the mitt had liquidized and melted into it.  Needless to say, pizza night was over.  Had to buy a new platesetter that wasn't saturated with rubber.
    Southern California
  • Where do I start?

• I'll throw this in the ring to see how it stacks up. Notice about half way down page 1 where Taz notices that I had my probes switched on the maverick. Then it got weird.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139900/crazy-drunk-brisket-cook/p1

This is when we need @chubbs. He would have to be in the medal round on this deal for sure.

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    henapple said:
    We have hands to hold beers.

I thought it was pretty stupid my self!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Come on now folks. There are many of us who spend our lives drunk and stupid. Fess up now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bicktrav said:
    Was a few beers in during a pizza night with friends.  The egg was up near 700.  I felt it needed more lump, so I decide to reach in and take out the platesetter to re-fill it.  As if that wasn't stupid enough, I used a pretty standard oven mitt, one that had a sort of rubber padding on the end to handle a max-heat of probably around 300 degrees.  I grabbed the platesetter.  Smoke everywhere.  Burning rubber smoke.  I didn't realize what was going on at first.  Finally, the platesetter starts burning my hand.  I put it down and I notice a thick tar all over it.  The rubber from the mitt had liquidized and melted into it.  Needless to say, pizza night was over.  Had to buy a new platesetter that wasn't saturated with rubber.
    lucky.........could have been bad

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Come on now folks. There are many of us who spend our lives drunk and stupid. Fess up now.
    I have to disagr, disigr, er, wait, wat?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    <hic>

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure