Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken (Spatchcock) Enchiladas

TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited October 2013 in Poultry
Had some left over spatchcock chicken from a week or so ago and used it to make some sour cream chicken enchiladas last night. I made about 1 1/2 dozen corn tortillas and some nice green chili, sour cream sauce and put everything together. Topped them with shredded monterey jack cheese and heated them on the egg (indirect at around 400*) for about 20 minutes; until the sauce was bubbling and the cheese had started to brown a bit on top. Served them with some mexican rice and black beans Also enjoyed from candied jalepenos that I had picked up on my recent trip to Texas.

(Note: Had some trouble uploading pics so the first two are out of sequence).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Texan of the North, I can't help but, read your posts in Hank Hills voice. T'm glad your avatar isn't Boomhauer.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Just had this thought the other day as I was putting the remainder of my last spatchcock away.  I'll have to give it a try.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Another method is mexican lasagna. All the same ingredients just layer them! A little sauce in the pan then cover with tortillas, then chicken > sauce > cheese > repeat. Makes a great casserole and very easy, now I love me some enchiladas but building the lasagna is so easy that SWMBO can do it. Then I just fire up the Egg when I get home and relax.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @TexanOfTheNorth, those look great, congrats! Do you lightly get the corn tortillas to make them pliable? If so can you share details? Every time I try to make enchiladas I end up with a tray full of broken tortillas.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Hey @TexanOfTheNorth, those look great, congrats! Do you lightly get the corn tortillas to make them pliable? If so can you share details? Every time I try to make enchiladas I end up with a tray full of broken tortillas.

Cheers
    B_B
    Not exactly sure what your question was.

I make the corn tortillas myself as the first step in the process; so they are very fresh. Even still, I give them about 15 seconds in 350* cooking oil before rolling to make them a little extra pliable.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Wow, that's awesome. I've always used site bought, but basically I was asking what you answered in the second part of your response. That's very helpful, thank you. 

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • You knocked that one out of the park! Now i'm wishing I had leftover chicken in the fridge!
    Flint, Michigan
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Gonna try that with left over turkey tomorrow!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Showing your Texas roots. Those enchiladas look very tasty. The candied jalapeño are so good love them served over cream cheese.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks delish. Good job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Do you put any of the sour cream sauce inside with the chicken or just over the top?
    They look great and I have plenty of leftover turkey to try it with!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Do you put any of the sour cream sauce inside with the chicken or just over the top?
    They look great and I have plenty of leftover turkey to try it with!
    To be honest, I don't remember if I did with that batch or not. If I do, only about a tablespoon.
    Two bottles a month on those jalapeños.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Two bottles a month on those jalapeños.
    Yeah, they're pretty good. Haven't seen them in the store(s) up here so I may have to make some on my own.