Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Companion for an XL, what size?

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Going to enlist the Big Clock tonight for a deep dish and pan pizza due to timing of pork loin and 5 pizzas and its really bugging me. Which size do I start saving for? Another XL so I can share eggcessories or a small for portability? Or another size?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I like my med xl combo
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I don't have a second egg. I use a Weber as the second. But if/when I get a second egg, I will get another XL. All of my accessories would be interchangeable saving alot of money and storage space. I could leave one set up for direct and one for indirect.

Although I might get a small if I were thinking of carting it around off site.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Just got a small. Great for just a few burgers , chops, etc...

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Another XL is perfect.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Or a large. You can do a surprising amount of food on one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    XXL :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• It depends on what you what to do with it.

If you want it as a companion for larger cooks, then a large might be the ticket.  if you want something for a everyday quick cook then a small or medium might be a better option.

I notice that a common theme is a lot of two egg families skip a size for the second egg. I have seen a lot of XL/MED or LG/SM combos.

I myself have the LG/SM combo.  During the week we cook on the small.  When we have company or cook a brisket / butt we use the large.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Two XLs work great for me - interchangable everything.image

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just saying... @dlk7 back yard is freaking awesome. I also would like 2 extra large ones... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    @dlk7, awesome setup... For 2 XL's I probably need to extend my deck...well, that can be done...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    He won't share his bourbon...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    henapple said:
    He won't share his bourbon...

I've been waiting for you to come back over.  I still have plenty of the Jefferson Presidential Select 21 year and the Old Forrester 12 year birthday small batch calling your name.  And while you are here you can put down some of the Balvenie 14 year Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• For me, the issue was portability.  I have an XL at home, but we go to my Mom's quite often and on picnics when the weather is nice.  I initially bought a small for this and it works great for that and as a companion egg as well.  I bought a mini when I tweaked my back and the small was just too much for me to move.  Now I have the mini and the small to compliment each other while cooking on the road and I take them both.
    Flint, Michigan
  • xl and med combo...that's my plan
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2013

I have an XL and have yet to find a need for a 2nd egg.  I seem to be able to do everything I ever need to do with the one XL.  Just throwing it out there...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

I have an XL and have yet to find a need for a 2nd egg.  I seem to be able to do everything I ever need to do with the one XL.  Just throwing it out there...
    Two eggs let you cook at different temps or with/without smoke.  You can cook hot dogs for lunch while in the middle of a 14 hour pulled pork cook.  Multiple Eggs are great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I currently have an XL and have plans to add a Small to the mix.  I want something with some portability.  Can't wait to take the small on vacation with us and use it at the beach or at the lake.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'd say unless you have desires to be portable, go with the largest you can afford and have room for. I have a Large, Medium and Small.  I've cooked enough for over fifty people on my large with the Adjustable Rig from www.ceramicgrillstore.com.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    i have an xl and a small love having 2 when doing different temps etc.....
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Two eggs let you cook at different temps or with/without smoke.  You can cook hot dogs for lunch while in the middle of a 14 hour pulled pork cook.  Multiple Eggs are great.
    I hear ya Doc and I see your point.  But since I've owned my egg, the need for a second egg has just never come up for me.  I'm a one egg man!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DMW
    Cooking 2 different methods at the same time is what I'm looking for. I have never had a problem with not enough cooking surface on the XL, especially with the addition of a raised grid.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2013
    I like my med xl combo
    Same here. It's big enough for smaller cooks for 4 people or for side dishes if a big meal is on the XL.  The medium burns less lump and is up to temp much quicker than the XL.  That's handy for simple weekday cooks (e.g. burgers) after work when the family is already hungry when I'm firing up the grill. 

I find that I don't need much in accessories for the medium.  I don't need multiple levels because I can use the XL when I have a lot of food to quick.  A plate setter and raised direct is it.

If I had found a steal on a large, I would have consider it, but so far I'm very happy that I got the medium. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    DMW said:
    Cooking 2 different methods at the same time is what I'm looking for. I have never had a problem with not enough cooking surface on the XL, especially with the addition of a raised grid.
    I would suggest a small, with having room of a XL already you could sear on the small and move to the XL to go along with whatever you are smoking to finish it off, plus have the portability of the little egg. I recently did a large cook searing on my small and finishing on my large and it worked even better than I imagined .A tribute to my ELF, Henapple!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.