Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 1st Beef Brisket

Greetings fellow eggheads. I have a smaller beef brisket (3lbs) I want to cook this weekend. I've been doing some online research but wanted to see if any of you had an suggestions for cook time, temp, etc. (considering the brisket is only a 3 pounder) Thanks guys

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    3 lb-er is probably just a flat.  Look up Travis Brisket.  I have not tried it but it looks great.  I am smoking a 12 lber tonight into tomorrow but its a whole packer.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Smoke it until it hits the stall (around 160F).  Then foil it with some apple juice and cook it until it's tender - around 200F.   Check tender with a chop stick or something that shape - it should slide into the meat like butter.

If it was a full packer or point, I'd recommend straight up smoking the whole time.
    Smoke it until it hits the stall (around 160F).  Then foil it with some apple juice and cook it until it's tender - around 200F.   Check tender with a chop stick or something that shape - it should slide into the meat like butter.

If it was a full packer or point, I'd recommend straight up smoking the whole time.
    Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you foil a point or full packer?  I'm assuming it's to do with the elevated fat content, but what would the disadvantage be in foiling those cuts?
    Southern California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @bicktrav It's really personal preference.  Some people like the thick chewy bark and foiling can make that soggy.  The small flats don't cook very well without braising (same as foiling with liquid) because they don't have that big slab of fat between the point and the flat that helps bathe the meat.
    Got it.  Thanks!
    Southern California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Another vote for the @nolaegghead method :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.