Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket curiosity

Options
dbonham
dbonham Posts: 3
Last night I put my first brisket on at 7:45 (12.75 lbs pre trim) with dome reading 240. This morning at 7, it was reading 220. I did not open the top to check meat until 930. I probed thick part of flat and got 195 and it was pretty smooth going in and out, but not buttery. Toward the end of flat, it was closer to 205 and not buttery at all. Just curious about this as I've read that 205 should produce tender meat. I understand its the thinnest cut on the brisket and it makes sense as to why its not buttery. I cooked a total of a 14.25 hours between 220-240 and it seems to me that part is overcooked? Any input??

Comments

• jmcnutt5
    Options
    How did it slice and taste? That is the real test.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How'd it go?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have gone that hot on flat and kept it there until butta.  Was not overdone - or at least not overdone for me.  Great flavor and tender.

Garnerville, NY
  • dbonham
    Options

It turned out good, I guess. It did not slice like I expected. The end of flat was pretty rough. I ended up pulling the whole thing apart like a butt. I ftc for about 8 hours after because it got done way before I expected then put it in oven for 45 minutes on 210. It was good, don't get me wrong but I want to be able to slice it (maybe it was knife). Is there anyway to get the whole slab to cook consistent throughout?

• dbonham
    Options

It turned out good, I guess. It did not slice like I expected. The end of flat was pretty rough. I ended up pulling the whole thing apart like a butt. I ftc for about 8 hours after because it got done way before I expected then put it in oven for 45 minutes on 210. It was good, don't get me wrong but I want to be able to slice it (maybe it was knife). Is there anyway to get the whole slab to cook consistent throughout?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have had to take them as high as 211 before they were tender. One way to help them cook even is to put the point toward the back of the egg as it is hotter there and the point will hold up much better than the flat. If you are using a oval stone this trick wont work. If you are using plate setter it will help alot. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    With brisket it just depends.....sometimes u can try all the tips but you won't get anywhere.
    Its all in the meat.
    Seattle, WA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options

SkinnyV said:
    With brisket it just depends.....sometimes u can try all the tips but you won't get anywhere. Its all in the meat.
    I agree. Sometimes you can do everything right and it still doesn't turn out how you want it to. 

One of my greatest challenges is to check temp/tenderness and then wait a half hour or more before I check again. I tend to get very impatient at the end and want to check it every 15 minutes. When I get impatient and check too often, all the heat (and moisture) gets out of the egg and it takes even longer to get to my desired result. 

Patience happens to be a virtue that I seem to lack...

Don't be afraid. Just start the learning curve. I think brisket is a rite of passage that has to be earned. That means there will be a few less than stellar performances before you get the "Oh My God is that good!" Also, you will likely be your own worst critic.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Instead of opening the egg to check, I use my wireless meat thermometer.  Probe is in the meat constantly measuring the temp, transmitter unit sends signal to receiver unit in the house.  Dual probe allows me to see the internal meat temp as well as the air temp inside the egg.  This coming weekend I'm going to smoke my first plain brisket.  Normally I'm smoking a corned beef brisket making Pastrami.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Did you FTC? What was your prep...injected, rub, etc. I've smoked close to 11-15 flats since Sept '13 and I have had consistent crowd pleasing results. I like full packers as well especially for the point burnt ends. Oh ya! Got a flat in the deep freeze right now and ya got me wanting to break it out :-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL