Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New gasket? Or no?

Options
2»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Thanks RRP, got my gasket today. Just need the time to put her on
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • CAT Seller
    Options
    Rutland with Permatex Ultra Copper is the only way to go.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I am getting ready to put the Rutlands on my XL. I do not know how to do the realignment on the XL. Can you tell me or direct me to a post where you got the info for yours? Thanks in adavance and sorry to hijack the thread :(. 
    I already sense your problem unless it was a typo...you said Rutlands meaning plural. When properly installed you only need one Rutland gasket on your egg. It will be thicker and will cause no need to adjust for most people.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I lost my gasket on my large shortly after getting it.  Went without a gasket for about a year and a half.  Did low and slo, fast and hot, it didn't matter, the temps held where I set it.  Didn't see any problems with how any of the cooks went, using more lump or shutting down the egg.  I now have a Rutland, why?  Because I just didn't like the sound of the ceramic hitting ceramic when I closed the lid. As for the Rutland gasket..AWESOME!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I have had a Rutland on my egg for about 6 months. I went gasket less for 2 months before putting it on last spring. The difference in my lump consumption was huge. I don't know what RRP sells them for. I went to my egg dealer who is also a wood stove dealer. I bought 9 feet of the flat Rutland gasket for $9.00. Went to auto zone and spent 5 or 6 bucks on permatex adhesive. For $15 I had a new gasket that will last me a lifetime. I would use a Rutland again I'm a heartbeat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I don't know what RRP sells them for. I went to my egg dealer who is also a wood stove dealer. I bought 9 feet of the flat Rutland gasket for $9.00. I would use a Rutland again I'm a heartbeat.
    Tomorrow I ship Rutland gasket #900 that I have sold as a not for profit service since 2002. I sell the XL which includes the $5.80 in postage for a total of $13 or a large for just $11. I include a 2 page set of instructions on how to apply it PROPERLY for years of use. If people have a dealer who sells wood stoves etc then yes you can save on the postage...but whether I sell zero gaskets, one gasket or 100 gaskets my profit is all the same! ZERO!!!
  • Magicman_007
    Magicman_007 Posts: 65
    edited September 2013
    Options
    RRP said:I already sense your problem unless it was a typo...you said Rutlands meaning plural. When properly installed you only need one Rutland gasket on your egg. It will be thicker and will cause no need to adjust for most people.

That was a typo. I am only going to do the bottom as you suggested. What I am asking is, how do you adjust the bite on the XL?

I have a large and adjusting the bite after the install was easy (it just needed a small adjustment) and I knew how to do it thanks to this great forum, but adjusting the bite on the XL, I am clueless.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Have Rutland's on all four of these guys.  I've done my damndest to cook one, but can't even get it done with a 1000*+ clean burn. 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RRP
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Have Rutland's on all four of these guys.  I've done my damndest to cook one, but can't even get it done with a 1000*+ clean burn. 

1,000 degrees wouldn't phase the Rutland. You need to get over 2,200 degrees to hurt it! That essentially makes it a once in a lifetime gasket replacement!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I replaced my XL gasket with the Cotronics 397 from @stlcharcoal.
    My XL did not seal fully w/o a gasket and I like having a cushion if the lid comes down fast. 

Pretty easy to do.  I did not remove the dome.

The Cotronics 397 is rated for Max continuous service at 1500*F and has melting point of 2800*F.  I'm thinking this one will last for a while.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.