Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting eggs back and forth

I transport my small but now I am thinking of taking my large eggs to the race track as more and more people stop by to eat. Looking for safe ideas for the large eggs.
Gambrills,Maryland

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I can't help you with the large, but wondering how you transport the small. I bought a small for the RV and it is still kinda hard to move. I was gonna buy an Egg Carten, but apparently those aren't available any more. Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    what kind of vehicle are you working with? that makes a huge difference..

I have been dreaming of when my family upsizes our car and egg, so I can start bringing the egg to Oakland raider and A's games.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2013
    Larges are easy in pickup. Very much suggest a "Handler" for it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• When transporting I assume you pull the guts of the egg? Do you wrap up fire box and ring?
    Albion, PA
  • Mickey
    When transporting I assume you pull the guts of the egg? Do you wrap up fire box and ring?

Done it both ways. Found so much easier (and works fine, TX to FL and back) just to slide some cardboard between the box and other items and leave packed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I can't find it now but someone on here posted a link to a wheel barrow type wagon table. It looked like it would make a large more mobile than anything.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah said:
    I can't find it now but someone on here posted a link to a wheel barrow type wagon table. It looked like it would make a large more mobile than anything.

I think that was called a Grill Barrow or something similar.  As I recall, it looked very well made, but the price point was ridiculously high.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Right now the small is in a steel rack similar to the Egg Cartens but no where near as nice, I put it in a moving blanket and then put it in the rack. As far as the firebox and ring I have strips of cardboard that I slide around them and a piece of cardboard for in between the two. I also bungie cord the top down to the rack.

I will be transporting the eggs in a race car trailer near the front cabinets, most of the time it will be nice highway traveling but to get into some of the tracks I feel like I am traveling through the Grand Canyon. Here is a pic of the current rig we have.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Reach out to @SMITTYtheSMOKER, he's got an amazing set up to transport large eggs.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Thanks Black_Badger, will do.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You could make a mobile table... What do you drive? On a side note... I thought Raider fans only three eggs... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BYS1981 said:
    what kind of vehicle are you working with? that makes a huge difference.. I have been dreaming of when my family upsizes our car and egg, so I can start bringing the egg to Oakland raider and A's games.
    I have yet to see an egg at a Raider game. Have you ever seen one there?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    Nice rig. What kind of racecar?

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited September 2013

We use d-rings and zip ties to the floor. We carry 3 Large Eggs with 1 XL to each event.  We do put towels in between the internal ceramics. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

500 Posts: 3,177
    Always wanted to take my Large to the RIR nascar tailgate. Tough to do. The tailgate gets bigger each race. This time along with the Giant Jenga game I brought the portable bar;...
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • td66snrf we have a Porsche for SCCA races and when we are not running that we go back to our roots which is racing karts.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

BYS1981 said:

what kind of vehicle are you working with? that makes a huge difference..

I have been dreaming of when my family upsizes our car and egg, so I can start bringing the egg to Oakland raider and A's games.

I have yet to see an egg at a Raider game. Have you ever seen one there?

no, hell I brought a propane grille abd people were asking about it.
  • I set my larges on an old tire, then use 2 ratchet straps on both sides. The base of the egg is large enough to set on the bead and it never touches the the floor. Cushions it quite well.
  • BYS1981, here is the cooking trailer for the Ravens games that some of my friends use.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Mickey
    edited September 2013
    By far the easiest way is to use an Egg Troll in your pickup for the back to keep all ok on your trip. The ones out of TN seem to work the best. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Big green egg Tail Gate Hitch for the poultry sum of 749.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • Smittythesmoker, Thank you for the pic. I think your method will work great for me and I know that it has been tested !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I like the Egg Troll idea !!!!   I'll have to make a trip down to TN to look for one !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Talked to a guy at a cookoff that had his older large egg there. He said he disassembled it, loaded it and then reassembled it in the truck. Hadn't had an issue doing that yet. He had a stick burner trailer and brought the egg just for cooking chicken.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jjmills Posts: 115
    This works fantastic for lifting the egg.  For transporting I plop it in the back of my truck, use towels and ratchet straps and off I go!!
    Can't take credit for it, jjmills posted it for me. I used this design to move two XL's. So much nicer than trying to hold on to the bottom. I just used a tie down instead of the cross board on the open end. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Definitely either remove the guts or cushion them with bubble wrap/towels/cardboard. I broke the firebox on our XL when we moved from Phx to Spokane...
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503

A Large fits in my toyota camry, either in the backseats or front, with seatbelt on of course. I do it by myself. Well back when i had my eggs. Its easy, just be cautious and smart about it, its fragile ceramic.

Austin, Tx