Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Autumn sage-sausage crust pumpkin fatty pie, pumpkin spice scones, and salted pumpkin seed biscotti

Took a half day yesterday to usher in Autumn. This year’s pumpkin cook includes a sage-sausage crust pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice scones, and salted pumpkin seed biscotti.

To make, slice & grill the pumpkin until soft, scoop it out & then into a pot with some ‘Spice of Life’ pumpkin wine, boil off all liquid and continually mash the pumpkin until it’s a nice consistency. This is the base pulp for all three cooks.

For the pie, incorporate the pumpkin into pie filling using whatever recipe you like. For the fatty ‘crust’ I used a roll of Jimmy Dean sage sausage. Roll it out to a uniform thickness and then lay it in a pie crust, trim & crimp the edges then add the filling. Into the egg indirect @ 400. It took a little over an hour to cook.

On the plate with whipped cream & a chilled glass of Spice of Life. The saltiness of the crust went really well with the pie.

For the scones I used my standard scone recipe (2.5 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, pinch of salt, one stick of butter, & 2 eggs, to that I added one cup of brown sugar and about a cup and a half of the pumpkin and some pumpkin spice seasoning):

350 degrees for about 40 minutes:

Cooling off:

A nice drizzle:

Breakfast:

For the biscotti, I used my standard recipe (3 cups of flour, some corn meal, tablespoon of baking powder, pinch of salt, one stick of butter & two eggs, to that I added a cup of the fresh pumpkin, a cup of brown sugar, more pumpkin spice seasoning and the toasted & salted pumpkin seeds). First, separate & rinse the seeds, toss in olive oil and salt & pop on the grill until nice & golden brown:

About 35 minutes later, first bake is done:

Another 15 minute bake after slicing:

Fall has arrived in Pennsylvania like clockwork, the weather is perfect

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments