Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baileys Irish coffee biscotti, good morning

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not a huge fan of the dead of winter, typically I abandon the hut for a few weeks every year right around now. Yesterday was pretty nice though, maybe 40 & dead calm. I stopped off in the hut following my afternoon walk & took a seat. Sitting there for a while it occurred to me just how serene it was. From spring through autumn we’re inundated by the sounds of kids, lawnmowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, parties, music & so forth – it’s all good, just lacking in the nearly absolute tranquility of winter. It was pretty cool so I didn’t want to leave

006.jpg

013.jpg

Anyway I wanted to cook something & started off with biscotti. We had no nuts or chocolate in the house but had a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream - combined that with some fresh ground coffee for Irish Coffee biscotti. After they were done, we grilled a chicken & some sweet potato planks. Spent a good few hours in the hut, it was nice, & beverage enhanced.

For the biscotti, began with the standard format & added ½ cup of sugar:

003.jpg

& about this much fresh ground coffee:

004.jpg

Quite a large quantity of this, seems like this batch drank ½ the bottle :ohmy:

002.jpg

All rolled out & ready to go to the egg:

008.jpg

Toss it on:

009.jpg

After about 30 minutes:

010.jpg

Cut into thirds:

011.jpg

Back on for bake #2:

012.jpg

All done:

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

And happy

006-1.jpg

This is the first batch I’ve done in a while sans melted chocolate of some sort. They do puff up more and are much crispier & airier (can’t soak them in coffee nearly as long). For comparison, below is a leftover from my last batch of dark chocolate walnut (which included 1 pound of melted dark chocolate). Both batches were prepared the same exact way with the exception of the chocolate, check out the difference in density/height:

009-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

For today’s musical selection, I give you Kim Wilde

I was in High School when this song came out & cannot believe it’s been 30 years already. Granted there was an over-abundance of cheesy music produced in the 80’s, but that decade did have its distinct sound some of which was really good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJf5vS2brvI

014.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Nice way to start my morning: Thank you and the biscotti looks good.
    One question: is it getting close to a scone?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Good morning, Zip.

Looks great. I think we are going to give it a go.

I can sooo relate to the peacefulness of the winter. and the critters that are up and around hardly make a peep.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You're showing your age.

I spent a good amount of time outside yesterday myself enjoying the peace and tranquility. Had to shovel 6" of snow off the deck to keep my feet dry while I fired up an egg for the first time in a week. But the near absolute silence made for a nice, relaxing afternoon.
  • Zippylip
    Mickey, yep, pretty close. Here are some scones I did, very similar. Scones are however more cake-like, primarily I think because they don't get a second bake like biscotti:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=530593&catid=1#

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1009402&catid=1#
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Adam, definitely worth a try. We probably make about 10-15 batches per season, usually all different too. They're like pizza, the possibilities of what you can do with the plain canvas are endless. So far I think the star of this season has been the Reese's, I never thought chocolate & peanut combination would go good with coffee, i was wrong...

speaking of critters, one sound that managed to break through the isolation was a very distant dog barking, sounded really cool
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    I know, but whuderya gonna do, just another passenger on life's bullet train. I have to admit that I contribute to the lack of silence in the hut most of the time. I usually never sit out there without music playing, just goes hand in hand with everything. Even if there were a moment of silence to be found in the 'on season' I'd never notice it as a result. Having now stumbled inadvertently onto this yesterday, I now feel obligated to replicate the experience though, it was just that relaxing
    happy in the hut
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Night and day I hear the sleds and ATV's running down at the lake but there are times when the back yard is an escape so I'm in a good spot I guess, especially with our conifers. Hey the biscotti looks terrific! I wanna make some...I kick myself for forgetting, but I'll get around to it. Not doing too bad this morning over here although below zeeerow is on it's way with more snow. I'm ok with that, I got the potato wagon. :lol:
    Stove top expresso with toasted and buttered Keiser rolls baked on the egg followed by a plate of grilled pineapple/caramel/whipping cream for this morning's breakfast. :ohmy: But I'd trade for some of your biscotti.
  • Zippylip
    Clay, sounds like a tasty breakfast I'd certainly trade for, someone's gotta get on that damn teleport thing so we can make this thing happen :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Zippy boy if I'm envious of anyone at this moment it's you Why is it every morning i see one of your delicious creations it's just a tiny biscuit & coffee for me? :S
  • Zippylip
    sounds to me like we had the same breakfast after all, cept mine was liquor laden, ya know, for flavor :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Morning Zippy. Looks great, I'll take 2 please. ;)
    I love the winter quite! Went on a hike yesterday, 30 miles from town. It was dead silence. Really nice!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Zippylip
    again, what this forum needs is a teleport (a reliable wormhole would also do), I'd be happy to beam two to you :cheer: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'll teleport this; Beam on....
    BGEGamedayfood0001.jpg
  • That looks and sounds delicious.

It's a rainy Sunday here at the Chicken Ranch so that meant a big breakfast. The kind I REALLY like - poached eggs, Texas biscuits, breakfast sausages, grits, butter-fried bananas, strong coffee and orange juice.

No pictures this morning but you've seen 'em before.

Now I'm thinking 'NAP' to round it out.

Spring "A Little Nap Around The Head And Shoulders" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Zippylip
    damn, chicken - that breakfast would knock me out for the day, & that'd be a good thing :lol:
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I knew I should have been up there yesterday :(
    A bunch of cousins had a luncheon at the Towne House then I could have raided the hut and broke the silence :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    Pat, that is one of my all time favorite restaraunts, wish I would've known as I could have crashed the party. Although I'm sure I would've stuck out like a sore thumb towering over all the small people :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Ahhh, the good life. Love the photos - as much as I hate snow (thank God we never get any here), your place looks so serene, very beautiful. And the biscotti - yummmy! ;) I guess the snow does have it's positives however - ala instant beverage cooler. :lol:
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That is some pretty country and your biscotti looks great. How long is the process from start to finish?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    There would have been more than 7 dwarfs :laugh:
  • That looks good Marc!

Ross
  • Zippylip
    Eilizabeth, I'm not a great fan of the white stuff either; loved it as a kid, now it's more of a pain in the keester. On the flip-side, it is beautiful no doubt, creates days like yesterday, & with each passing year the winter seems to come & go faster & faster..., so I do in the grand scheme try & enjoy it - here in South Eastern PA we get 4 very distinct season, ranging from bitter cold to oppressive heat & everything in between. Each change is welcomed, then gets old, then disappears. I'm not really crazy about either of the extremes, though fortunately they are both short-lived, maybe a couple weeks of winter & a couple in summer - of the seasons autumn is my favorite, cool temperatures & unmatched scenery
    happy in the hut
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Nothing like the quiet, solitude, and beauty of the snow! :) Especially with such delectable biscotti with a nice hot drink. I really liked the pics.
  • Zippylip
    Thanks Dave, my house is maybe 10 minutes from the Brandywine Battle Field & 25 minutes from Valley Forge, some pretty significant historical landmarks (also about 25 miles west of old city Philadelphia). I can only imagine what this area looked like 150 years ago. Regarding time, the biscotti bake for 30 minutes at 350, then following removal & cutting, they bake about 10-15 minutes longer, so probably around an hour including prepration time. They're great to make using residual heat from the egg, so if you're doing pizzas or something like that you could bake a batch of these at the end even with everything shut down
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks Ross, so does your chicken, reminds me of what followed the biscotti onto the egg last night :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks Rebecca, and agreed, it is a combination suited to this season. Funny thing is that just like the snow, the biscotti get old. In another two months, production will cease until next fall
    happy in the hut
  • Thanks Marc, I hope it warms up soon it was 81* here in Ventura yesterday

Ross
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Biscotti use eggs and scones do not
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Looks like you are enjoying the weekend Marc...Our snow is going to be gone by tonight after hanging around for 7 days.We are ready to get back to normal weather for Augusta.

Larry