Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re: Frozen Shrimp...

Has anyone ever used the frozen shrimp or other seafood products that come prepackaged in the grocery store? I would love to make an attempt at grilling some shrimp, but fresh shrimp are hard to come by where I live...

Thanks, -Josh
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Look for the point of origin and then make your decision.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Look for the point of origin and then make your decision.

I agree with this. I have some in my freezer right now and they're perfectly fine if getting fresh is tough.

Also, make sure they're raw; often you'll see precooked and frozen and over found that heating those up usually makes them rubbery.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Frozen is fine (in fact the only way you can get true fresh shrimp is from the docks).  
    I like the individually-frozen shrimp, as I can add just a handful to soups, salads, etc and not have to thaw out (and then use) the entire block.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I used to work in a seafood market. I also lived 10 min from a place that had fresh shrimp year round.

I almost always prefer frozen shrimp.

99% of all shrimp in restaurants are frozen.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ok, that makes me feel alot better... What is the correct way to defrost? Of the top of my head, I would probably put in a bowl of water in the fridge. Any better suggestions? 

• We've used frozen shrimp - the one you've pictured. Raw, tail on, sized 16-21 (larger and stay on the grids better). SWMBO is not a seafood lover, we might go through two bags a year. Fresh coldwater shrimp are something quite different, buy when it is available and Foodsaver it, I treat shrimp like blueberries, flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then vac pack them. Smaller, but at least I know where they came from.
    @Austin_Egghead - makes a good point, look for the point of origin. Thai or Asian shrimp are often farmed and many of the pits are on questionably reclaimed industrial land leeching who know what. The labour is often virtual slave labour - hence cheap shrimp/prawn. Your call.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    We use the 21-25 count, peeled and deveined tail on from Costco. Thaw for 15 minutes in a bowl with tap water. Pat dry. I make a marinade of 1/4 cup EVOO, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Add the shimp and mix to coat the shrimp, cover and refridgerate for 1 hour. Pre soak wooden skewers, I put 5 on a skewer in a C pattern. Cook 2-3 minutes a side on high heat until opaque. Delicious!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • That looks delicious! I will definitely add that recipe to my list of things to try. I want to attempt to blacken them first. So many choices and only three meals a day!!!

Thanks,
    -Josh

• I've always preferred fresh shrimp.  It seems to me that the texture changes a bit after it's frozen, then thawed.  Also, I can tell how fresh the shrimp is when peeling them.  That said, I will buy frozen shrimp when necessary.  However, I won't buy "previously frozen" shrimp, then freeze it again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I use Publix brand frozen shrimp all the time. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Easy to thaw. Just put them in a bowl and run cold tap water over them. You don't have to have it running heavy, just enough to keep the water in the bowl circulating. They will be thawed in no time.
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35 said:

Easy to thaw. Just put them in a bowl and run cold tap water over them. You don't have to have it running heavy, just enough to keep the water in the bowl circulating. They will be thawed in no time.

Do what he said
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I buy the frozen Costco and just thaw them in cold water for a few minutes. Then I soak them in coconut oil, coconut rum, cilantro, lime juice, maybe some garlic, then saute in a skillet with some shredded coconut in there. Any excuse to eat coconut. And shrimp.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I buy the frozen Costco shrimp and put them in a bowl with kosher sea salt to defrost.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Reading through this thread, I have a question.
    On another recent thread everyone had me convinced that all sushi-grade fish is previously frozen, to kill parasites.  But now, here, it's sounding like fresh, never-frozen shrimp are available.

Is that the case, or am I missing something here?  
    :-??

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch said:
    On another recent thread everyone had me convinced that all sushi-grade fish is previously frozen, to kill parasites.  But now, here, it's sounding like fresh, never-frozen shrimp are available.

It probably depends on where you live.  On the Gulf coast, fresh shrimp is readily available, and is usually sold with shell on, deheaded.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Botch said:

It depends on your location. In Tallahassee, 45 min from the coast, all the high end restaurants sold previously frozen tuna for sushi. On occasion, our market would get some good fresh stuff and they would use that. Fresh is better but frozen is more consistently good.
  • I have used the frozen shrimp many times and they work just fine !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I always have frozen shrimp in the freezer in separate ziplocks in appropriate portion sizes. It is the easiest and fastest flesh you can thaw and makes a meal in a jiffy.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Larger trawlers are now freezer boats. The individual shrimp are headed and then individually quick frozen. This makes it easy to thaw only the number of shrimp needed for a meal. These boats frequently use a seafood processor's dock and are obligated to buy fuel and ice from the dock and sell their catch to the processor in return for free docking.
    Cast netters and smaller ice boats sometimes retail shrimp with heads on. If the head comes off too easily, the shrimp are a few days old. They also sell tails at a higher price.
    Road side vendors can be anything. Buyer beware.
    Shrimp are boiling tonight (wild caught GA shrimp, but frozen unfortunately)
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Always buy wild caught domestic shrimp, just about all are frozen at sea. I buy at the dock most of the times they have been frozen. Do not waste your money on the farm raised crap.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Trader Joe's IQF shrimp are the only frozen shrimp I have found that are not treated with something during freezing and packaging....tasty and reasonably priced.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin