Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini withdrawal...

I felt ashamed about neglecting my mini for some time, so a cook was in order to make it up to him.

Inspired by Griffin's recent pork tenderloin, I brined some chix breasts I found in the freezer. I added some Old Bay seasoning to the brine. After a 2 hour swim, I rinsed the chix, dried, and seasoned with more Old Bay.

Got the mini up to about 400°F and added the chix. Grid is raised a couple of inches with a wok ring - cheapo mini woo mod :). Used some mesquite chips for a little smoke flavor.

Plated shot. SWMBO  made some haricot verts and cous cous as sides. A lighter, healthy, and tasty meal. Chix was just a tad overdone on the thinner side of the breast but perfect on the thicker side. I got distracted at the last minute, and mine went up to 175°F IT. SWMBO's was better because I had pulled hers at 150°.

Not fancy, but it scratched the itch. And the mini is feeling loved again!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I want a small.. Just feel the mini is too small for the 3 of us. There's one on cl here for $300 but he's not coming down. Called my local dealer... A freaking furniture store, they want $625 for a small. Really? $300 for the mini on cl.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like a tasty meal to get the mini back in action. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • @King of Calcutta - you have kids right?  The Mini is perfect for empty nesters like we (wife and I) are but if you are cooking for 3+ the Mini is not going to always work. Don't worry.. be happy. Look forward to seeing you in Salado or even before.

PS: keep doing your wonderful work for children, Doc

Springram
    Spring,Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @henapple: i was able to get my small for about $550 with stand included.  Older style handle with the dark gray gasket.  Replaced the gasket after it got crispy and life is good. If you ever swing by Houston,  Bering's Hardware has a 20% off sale a couple of times a year,  eggs included. 

@Solson005: thanks.  The mini and me have patched things up quite well :) 

@Springram: we should catch up before Salado! This weekend would have been good,  but with all the rain coming,  we would have to swim to Hillcroft. 

• Seems to me the mini is only 335 around here new.
    Southern Indiana
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    @Henappple...Check out Clearwater Pools in Manchester.  I bought a small there last in March for $425.  Good folks, good cust service.  btw...I left 3 bags of OO in the garage when I left - they'll be there when I come back next summer.  Good stuff that Double O.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited September 2013
    How did you even get a chance to cook. It rained here so much yesterday no egging for me. We received just under 6 inches at the house. Nice cook by the way!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @RAC: snuck this one in on Thurs night, before the deluge :) Stopped raining now, so I've got some wings on for a late lunch.