Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn

Options
How often do you run a clean burn? What temp and duration? I use my XLBGE weekly.

Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Never.  I've never done one and haven't seen the need.  I do higher temperature pizzas and steaks once in a while, maybe that takes care of things.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    edited September 2013
    Options

Never.  I've never done one and haven't seen the need.  I do higher temperature pizzas and steaks once in a while, maybe that takes care of things.

That's kinda my thought, also I like a seasoned pit.

Does the clean burn help with performance?
  • eddiepro
    Options
    In my experience it has. I was getting flecks of residue on my pizzas before, then I did a clean burn and no more. Also, going from a pork butt to a pizza set up takes much longer, as I have to wait for the oil and grease buildup to burn off. So the clean burn helps there. In my early days with my xl, my wife had to endure some pretty bad pizzas as they absorb everything in the cooker.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Only when I need to - no set maintenance schedule like changing the oil in your car. You'll know when the crud starts to curl and flake off, so look under your dome from time to time and get to know what it looks like for a reference point in your mind.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    RRP said:
    Only when I need to - no set maintenance schedule like changing the oil in your car. You'll know when the crud starts to curl and flake off, so look under your dome from time to time and get to know what it looks like for a reference point in your mind.

+1. If I need to get rid of creosote build up, or if the Egg starts sweating grease after a few low and slow pulled pork or briskets.
    Options
    I value the flavor built up in the competition smokers.   I cook on new eggs several times to get them into shape.  Too each their own.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Never.  If crud starts flaking off the inside of the dome, I go after the loose bits with a putty knife, lightly scraping.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Another in the no clean burn camp.  But if you do the burn, load up your platesetter or deflector stone, pull your dome thermo, light it up and prepare for a new gasket.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ...and prepare for a new gasket.  YMMV-
    Not so if you have a 2,200 degree Rutland.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    If you do primarily low and slows, you will end up with crusty build-up inside the dome.  I do one every so often...but mostly just if I think the lump in the egg is low or mostly junk and I just want it all burned up and gone.  Or like recently, when I accidentally dropped a clove of garlic into the coals, to make sure the flavor is gone.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If I've reverse seared a steak and the lump I'd low I'll let it go..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN