Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to corn starch or not??

Taking my small egg to work on Saturday, going to put some wings on for the guys. Time restraint, so going to just pick up wings with seasoning all ready on them, teriyaki, chill lime, and honey garlic. Question I have is, I usually put corn starch on the wings and then season them, I asked the meat market if they could do that and they said they don't have any. So I will bring some along and I am going to sprinkle it on after the fact,.  I like the wings crispy, any body see anything wrong with this?? Going to go 400* direct, as per Mickey :). Wish me luck, wanting it to be a tasty little meal for everyone. 
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Is the seasoning wet? If so, no go. If it's dry, you can try a slight dusty, but I wouldn't.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I just don't use it, no reason except I always forget it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 on what @jlsm said.  If it is a wet marinade on the the wings I wouldn't add corn starch to the mix. Teriyake and honey-garlic sound like they are a wet marinade.  Not sure about chile-lime.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Corn starch or baking powder (I use 50/50 mix) is usually applied to dry skin, then air dried in the fridge for at least a few hours. I think the idea is to pull the water out so only the chicken fat is left and that will crisp sooner, avoiding overcooking the meat to get crispy chicken. 
    Not so important with wings as they are hard to overcook. 
    Rub can be applied over the starch/powder dusting. 

+1 with @SmokeyPitt and @jlsm - Wet marinades or sauced wings do not crisp as they are wet, you pretty much have to char them to get a crispy skin, IMHO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks everyone, will just leave well enough alone. Don't want anyone spitting their wings out. LOL
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I say no corn starch.  I feel like I get a different crispness when I use Corn starch.  Probably personal preference but my families prefers naked wings.
  • Well I didnt' do the corn starch. Problem was we were doing this at work, and guess what, while we were grilling, of course we had customers show up. So three of us took turns looking after the wings. Some were a little more chard, then some, due to being busy with customers. All in all, it was a good time. Had some good comments from the eaters. Good time was had by all.:)
    Large, small, and a mini