Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club fail

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
I never buy meat from Walmart or Sam's. While shopping the other day for aluminum foil, pans, and other essentials I checked out the meat dept. They had 2 good size T Bones for $20. Reverse sear and cooked till 130-135. They got a tad overdone but still red in the center. Shoe leather. I've been told they inject water into the meat for additional weight and when cooked the water evaporates leaving dryer meat. To me it's not a good deal if the meat sucks... No matter how much of a sale it is.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    There must be a reason that the people fired from Costco get hired as Supervisors at Sam's.

(Yes, this was a running joke when I worked there. Yes, it really did happen.)
  • Gee, I've never had trouble with SC meat, from lobster tails to lamb chops.  I buy my salmon to smoke there, as well as the butts for pulled pork.  Maybe that particular store is an off location.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i think i stopped going to walmart before they had a sams club
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    The nearest Cosco is 30 miles...
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    i think i stopped going to walmart before they had a sams club
    + 1
    Pensacola,FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    henapple said:

The nearest Cosco is 30 miles...

It's worth it though.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• I tell my wife every time she goes to Walmart, DO NOT buy any meat from there

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wally world steaks suck around here.  Sam's club is somewhat better...the roasts and primals are fine.  I find their cut steaks to be barely acceptable.   Look and feel your meat before you buy it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    To my understanding they have to list on the package that the meat contains "x amount" of solution injected. Just like they do on pork butts, and pork loin from Kroger, Harps, etc. 
    only the origional packager has to put it on the label, if the meat is repackaged into a stores label it isnt required. my local supermarket repackages injected hormel ribs for instance under their own label and just addresses them as fresh ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I will not even try Walmart meat, mostly because I have yet to see anything thicker than a sandwich steak. And they are no cheaper than the quality butcher department at my small local grocery store. That said I have not had a bad steak from Sam's and after recently talking to he manager about how overpriced they were on whole briskets they cut he price in half and I m getting whole packers at roughly $2.29/lb and they are good
  • Harris Tetter here in Southeastern VA
    Angus beef on sale weekly. Porterhouse $6.99 custom cut 2"
    Chesapeake, VA
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    I will never buy meat from Sam's/Walmart/Target again. My wife bought ground beef from Target once. They treat them meat with something to make is red (I think nitrogen ??) I cooked the crap out of these burgers (160) and they looked like they were raw because they were still red. It was bizarre, I don't need faux fresh meat.

Aurora,OH
  • henapple
    Publix and kroger here are pretty good. My local butcher is great for red meat if you buy the loaf or toast. My wife actually suggested getting a small freezer. We have 3 fridges but the freezers are full of teenage junk. I need my own... Have a spot in the cave cleared out.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Get in your car and start driving... to Costco.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    We've talked about doing the one day pass...
  • Only meat we get from Sam's is pork butt's.So far the meat has been good and cooked up OK. However we used to get most of our meat,chops and ground chuck from Winn-Dixie and as far as we're concerned the quality of meat has gone to h*ll. Publix is 50 miles away and there are no Kroger's near us. Gonna harvest some deer that keep harvesting the stuff around the house that the better half works so hard to beautify the landscape around the house.   >:P

Opelika, Alabama
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @henapple : if you're not inclined to keep Costco membership, you could go and stock-up on a freezer's worth of stuff (maybe even buy the freezer there?) and then return your membership. They will prorate the membership and refund the remainder i.e. if you were a member for 1 month, you get 11mo worth of your money back. I think Sam's has a similar policy on membership refunds.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Our local Safeway and Albertson's are quite good, but I'm real glad I live about 8 minutes from Costco.

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    Kroger and Publix is good here.. Just disappointed... In Sam's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    @henapple : if you're not inclined to keep Costco membership, you could go and stock-up on a freezer's worth of stuff (maybe even buy the freezer there?) and then return your membership. They will prorate the membership and refund the remainder i.e. if you were a member for 1 month, you get 11mo worth of your money back. I think Sam's has a similar policy on membership refunds.
    This is partially incorrect. Costco will refund your membership in full at any time you are dissatisfied.
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Cracked my tooth on one of those Walmart "Choice" ribeyes that they adversise on TV. Besides the hard peice whatever it was, the steak was not good. 

I can never get a Sam's ribeye to turn out as good as others I've done. They look amazing in the package, but can never get it to be near as good as say our local grocery stores (Reasors) ribeyes. The pork butts are good. I don't like their spare ribs either. 

I do buy salmon from Sam's which is good.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    caliking said:
    This is partially incorrect. Costco will refund your membership in full at any time you are dissatisfied.
    Unless it's changed, Sam's will too.
  • henapple
    Sam's is great for other things... Just not the meat dept, IMHO
  • Have had good luck at Walmart in Canada with frozen Turkey but there beef has been disappointing. Costco is excellent.  Sams is no longer here but I had fond memories of their pies.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Never had a problem with meat at SAMs.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Just had a problem with a Sams small leg of lamb. When the package was opened it smelled strong. I know that lamb can have a gamey smell but this was different. Reminded me of a freezer burnt moose meat that had been kept to long. This was not frozen when I bought it but I am wondering if it was for the trip here from New Zealand.  Cooked it just the same thinking that the rub and smoke would take care of the problem but it sucked just the same. Wish we had a good butcher shop here. In any case I would prefer to buy meat from this country. I have never found New Zealand Lamb to be very specia.l

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I have 2 goto places for meat. Hirsch's and Costco. All of my slow cook meats are usually form Hirsch's. The rest from Costco.  
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX