Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Butcher paper does Aaron Franklin use for brisket?

I noticed Aaron Franklin using brown butcher paper to wrap beef brisket on his video. Is that peach treated paper?

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I think its just plain butcher paper.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited September 2013
    He uses 18" pink butcher paper from ABCO in Austin. It's plain paper with no coating of any kind. Grease soaks through it almost instantly.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Awww....and I thought it was made with all the lost hopes and dreams of everyone who wasn't Ayayron Franklin.  That's just plain butcher paper.  ;)

Awww....and I thought it was made with all the lost hopes and dreams of everyone who wasn't Ayayron Franklin.  That's just plain butcher paper.  ;)

+1 on Ayayron. "Say it right!"

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• +1
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    hoffmand said:
    He uses 18" pink butcher paper from ABCO in Austin. It's plain paper with no coating of any kind. Grease soaks through it almost instantly.

hoffmand said:

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I just ordered a roll from ABCO. They said they have been selling that paper a lot since Aaron Franklin posted his You Tube video on brisket.
  • hoffmand
    edited September 2013
    If anyone in the Austin/Cedar Park area wants to try the ABCO paper just let me know. It only comes in 1000' rolls and I have about 975' left :)
    Cedar Park, TX
  • just plain old butcher paper people..no difference from any other. He doesn't have a secret and his flavor combo is true texas que that lets the meat speak for itself. I had some this morning and it was delicious. The man is a wizard with brisket!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2013
    Arbucklej said:

just plain old butcher paper people..no difference from any other. He doesn't have a secret and his flavor combo is true texas que that lets the meat speak for itself. I had some this morning and it was delicious. The man is a wizard with brisket!

I don't think they're asking for too much so calm your tits. :x

For your information, there are differences. Some paper has a wax coating that can come off on your meat. There are many brands of food grade paper products out there, but there are some that aren't. ABCO carries the paper Aaron uses so why not pick up some if you're in Texas. I know I did! ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • sure why not but is it any different than any other butcher paper w/out wax paper probably not...I am sure if you ask the man himself about his preference he would laugh. He doesn't have a secret his bbq sauce is found in every HEB. The only thing different is the man who has made a living cooking some of the best bbq this awesome nation has to offer.
  • cazzy
    Arbucklej said:

sure why not but is it any different than any other butcher paper w/out wax paper probably not...I am sure if you ask the man himself about his preference he would laugh. He doesn't have a secret his bbq sauce is found in every HEB. The only thing different is the man who has made a living cooking some of the best bbq this awesome nation has to offer.

I understand it's similar to other food grade butcher papers. Would he laugh, probably not since he does have a preference. He only buys ABCO Pink butcher paper so I'm sure he thinks the quality is top notch.

You seem to have everything figured out, so I eagerly await to see your non-mediocre brisket thread! ;)

• cazzy said:
    sure why not but is it any different than any other butcher paper w/out wax paper probably not...I am sure if you ask the man himself about his preference he would laugh. He doesn't have a secret his bbq sauce is found in every HEB. The only thing different is the man who has made a living cooking some of the best bbq this awesome nation has to offer.
    I understand it's similar to other food grade butcher papers. Would he laugh, probably not since he does have a preference. He only buys ABCO Pink butcher paper so I'm sure he thinks the quality is top notch. You seem to have everything figured out, so I eagerly await to see your non-mediocre brisket thread! ;)

Never claimed to cook an excellent brisket which is why I posted that discussion. This forum is to help people and I just thought it was funny that we are talking about the butcher paper a famous chef uses. Makes more sense to me to talk about the woods he uses and what temp does he pull brisket. That's just my opinion though!

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653

cazzy said:
    I understand it's similar to other food grade butcher papers. Would he laugh, probably not since he does have a preference. He only buys ABCO Pink butcher paper so I'm sure he thinks the quality is top notch. You seem to have everything figured out, so I eagerly await to see your non-mediocre brisket thread! ;)
    Rude!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Go @cazzy...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    ;;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    rtt121 said:

cazzy said:

Arbucklej said:

I understand it's similar to other food grade butcher papers. Would he laugh, probably not since he does have a preference. He only buys ABCO Pink butcher paper so I'm sure he thinks the quality is top notch.

You seem to have everything figured out, so I eagerly await to see your non-mediocre brisket thread! ;)

Rude!

Thanks a bunch! :\">
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited September 2013
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Wow, this thread went so far in a direction that I did not expect. Thanks for the entertainment. It was much better than the Giant's game.
  • henapple
    Peyton and the Broncos kicked ass...
  • Yesir they did, loved that, hate the giants
  • cazzy

Wow, this thread went so far in a direction that I did not expect. Thanks for the entertainment. It was much better than the Giant's game.

No problem...I have to find some way to contribute! In this case, I was bored and wanted to provide some senseless entertainment. ;)
  • henapple
    I enjoyed it...
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I found an interesting item about the "Pink" butcher paper. This is from their web page.

http://www.oren-intl.com/food-service-paper/

CounterKraft™ Pink Butcher Paper  

PinkButcher

CounterKraft™ Pink Butcher Paper is made to the same exact standards as the CounterKraft™ White Butcher Paper.  The pink color dresses up the look of sandwiches, fresh meats, poultry and fish.

CounterKraft™ Pink Butcher upholds tradition when used as a sandwich wrap and adds a mark of distinction to the wrapped item so it stands out from other wraps. Standard basis weight is 40#.

Seems as long as it is 100% FDA Food Grade, the color is to enhance the visual appeal.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'm holding out for the taupe paisley pattern.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question.

Anyone think a paper grocery sack could be used as a substitute for plain butcher paper? Think it would hold up, or would it more likely disintegrate all over the meat?
    Gittin' there...
  • might need a few layers?
  • hoffmand

Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question.

Anyone think a paper grocery sack could be used as a substitute for plain butcher paper? Think it would hold up, or would it more likely disintegrate all over the meat?

You mentioned Cedar Park in one of your posts so it caught my attention. I still have a roll of the ABCO stuff if you want got try it. Just let me know.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question.

I'd say no. Imagine it would break up like toilet paper, and doubt you really want the grocery sack flavor. 

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ