Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rack of Ribs Tonight

Options
My plan was to cook some baby backs this weekend, but those plans changed. So, for the Eagles game, I will cook them tonight :D

Does my plan sound correct 2-1-1   

•    Coat with mustard and dizzy rub
  •    2hrs @ ~275 with a piece of apple and cherry in the center of the coals indirect cook below lowest position on my adjustable rig.
  •    1hr foil
  •    1hr without foil (should I raise the temp to set the sauce?)

I would prefer to have spare ribs, but I must tread lightly around pork since my wife is on the border line of crossing over to become vegetarian after visiting a pig slaughter house :D any fat/gristle and she won't finish the rest.

Aurora,OH

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Not sure about 2-2-1, but it sounds about right at 275 dome, I have done 3-2-1 indirect at 250 dome rubbed in mustard then dizzy dust and they always come out great. I have a XL so I am able to lay all 3 racks meat side up at 250 then rub butter all over the meat side, more rub then sprinkle with brown sugar and spritz with apple juice then foil for 2 hr's meat side up then pull the plate setter and foil and finish them at 250/300 until done flipping them if need be. They always taste great.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just ask any scientician. Eating meat is O.K.!

• NervousDad
    Options
    Fingers crossed I hope they turnout ok
    Aurora,OH
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I have been doing baby backs at 240 first hour and then bump up to 275 until they pass the bend test or probe like butter. That temp is at food grate. Baby backs have been done in the 2.5 to 3 hour range. I have been making the best ribs I have ever done lately. No foil or spritzing.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    Options
    ^ Thank you for that info, because apparently I don't know how to add 2+1+1. I planned to have dinner done at 6 and put them on at 3 d'oh 
    #-o

I'll try and speed them up a bit. maybe I'll pull them at 6:30, after that the family gets a little cranky!

Aurora,OH
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you are pressed for time you may want to keep them in the foil a little longer.  They will cook faster while foiled.  Maybe something like 2-1.5-.5. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nsdexter
    Options
    The best way to people to like your foodies to make them wait. My parents do it, they dinner at 530, then serve at 8 by which time the table look as goo as the dehydrated slop they put in front of you.
    HFX NS
  • NervousDad
    Options
    Well they were done much sooner then the should have been, I cooked them at 275 and after 2.5 hours I could see that they were already just about over cooked. I hit them with some sauce and let them cook a little bit longer. 

They were good as far as doneness, but they had far too much smoke for my taste. I used a couple chips of apple and cherry.
    Aurora,OH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Bend or toothpick test is the best way to determine "doneness" for me.  And every rack is different.  You may want to check the dome thermo calibration.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.