Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24+ hours

Started cooking Friday evening putting a brisket on.  

Cleaned out Egg, reloaded to the top of the fire ring with charcoal and hickory chunks.

Lit the Egg at 8:05 PM Friday.   Stabilized it, put meat on, watched it for an hour or so.

Temp never went above 320 during startup, got it set on 230 stable when I went to bed.

Opened it the next morning, took the Brisket out, put a Pork butt in.

took it up from 220-230 mid afternoon Saturday to 325 to finish Butt off, then put sausage on.

Pulled the last meet around 6:30 on Saturday evening, Was curious, left the Egg burning on the same settings with the lid closed.

Looked at it around 9 pm, still sitting at the same temp, went ahead and shut it down.

25 Hours on original charcoal load.  Nothing added during the process.   Not sure how much longer it would have gone, will take the grill and plate setter out later today and get a photo of remaining charcoal.

Charcoal was Rockwood.
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Nice. Egg is a machine.
  • I wonder what the record is. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Just curious, did you fill to the top of the fire BOX or fire RING?

I've never filled above the fire box and have had several 20 hour, 225-250 degree cooks
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Awesome times. Just started a 15 lbs brisket at 1:30pm. From the posts here I filled the lump all the way to the top of the fire ring. I'm hoping to get 23 hours out of this load. It sounds doable.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Filled to the top. Have done this length multiple times. Reason I posted were the number of questions the last couple of weeks about whether one can go 20 hours without refilling charcoal. I think as long as air flow is clean and you have a good charcoal - very easy to run 20-30 hours.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Longest for me is 29 hours,  Still had enough lump left to do 2 turkey breasts the next day.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I also had a 32 hour cook, 225 degrees , I still had lump charcoal left,
  • When you guys do a long cook of 20+ hours, how do you light the coals. In the center? At 12, 4, and 8 like a triangle? Chimney with small coals and do a top down burn?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For low and slo, I light one oil soaked paper towel in the middle.
    Single rear center.
    Cookin in Texas
  • The brisket has been on for 18 hours so far. Checked the charcoal this morning and its only down about 2 inches from the top of the fire ring. I started with a top center fire. I guess because of the way the charcoal was stacked, the fire burnt down the right side of the pile. I scooped some of the hot coals to the top, back filled the hole , and spread the hot coals around the top. The fire popped right back to life in a couple of minutes. The down side is, my meat temp probe went out during the night. Don't know what the internal temp is. Im going to wait a few hours and then check it.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    You guys that are able to get 24 - 30 hours using a Large or XL?  Just asking because I just did about 12 hours on my XL most of the time I had a dome of 250 to 275 and had most of my charcoal gone after I shut it down.  

Long Island, NY
  • I had some temp spikes but for the most part I averaged 223 degrees (taken at the grate surface) on my Large BGE using Royal Oak Lump. I'm going on hour 20 and the Fire Box and Ring are still mostly full.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    radamo said:
    You guys that are able to get 24 - 30 hours using a Large or XL?  Just asking because I just did about 12 hours on my XL most of the time I had a dome of 250 to 275 and had most of my charcoal gone after I shut it down.  

What kind of lump are you using?  I have an XL and would get at least double the time at that temp?
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • boatbum
    Zick said:
    radamo said:

What kind of lump are you using?  I have an XL and would get at least double the time at that temp?
    Rockwood
    Cookin in Texas
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited September 2013
    I had a mix of left over WGWW in the fire box and added new BGE.  My current bag of BGE has mostly really nice size pieces in it.  Probably the best bag I have had yet. Maybe it was all the partially burnt pieces that were in there that finished quicker than new would have. 
    Long Island, NY