Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs medium

I've seen several post that say the large is better than the medium and everybody is saying get the large. My question is the large really better for my situation and worth the extra money? 95% of the time it's just me and the wife. The other 5% there is no more than 4 people. From what I read, I just can't understand why I would need the large. A few questions for the EggHeads that have mediums: 1. Will I be able to do pork butt/long cooks without running of fuel? 2. Can I fit two racks of ribs on the grill? 3. What are the advantages of having a medium? I plan on buying my BGE within the next few weeks and am really leaning toward the medium, but don't want to have regrets. Please give me as much information on the medium as possible, especially cook times and performance. Try to be as objective as possible. Thanks
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    things just fit better in the large like a full rack of ribs, a brisket, a full sized turkey, pizza etc. you can make do with the medium but the large is a better size.  better options with accessories from places like the ceramicgrillstore.  dont know if they fixed the issue with the fire box in the medium, but it was too loose and it affected temps, this was the only real issue ive seen with it other than size. the medium is probably their least sold egg as well from the lineup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    14 years ago I was at the same crossroad as you. The medium made SOLID sense for our situation, but people still encouraged me to spend the extra and go large. BTW at that time there was no XL. Also at that time there were very few eggcessories available even from BGE itself for anything other than a large. I was finally convinced with the rationale that since you snuff the lump and then reuse it there was no lump savings and iffin I ever wanted more space I would have it with a large, but maxed out on the medium...so I bought the large. 3 months later I added a small which is a terrific combination! Go large, you will not regret it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Even though I keep trying to convince myself to get the medium everything reported on the past forums say Go Big. This is such a hard decision. I guess I should take a harder look at the large.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • If I had to give up either the medium or large, I would be forced to say the medium would go, because the large can do more.  However, I use the medium over the large many times over.  It is the perfect size for my family of five.  I almost sold the large when I got my XL, but luckily my wife has kind of forgotten about that idea.  Out of the five eggs I have, the medium is used the most.

Regarding the performance of the medium, I have a medium that was owned by grandpas grub that gave the mediums a bad rep for being slow to heat up (I don't blame him, it would not get hot).  He sold me the base and dome and I purchased a new firebox/ring for it.  Since the firebox filled the medium better than the one he had, the performance is way different.  It heats up very fast and would run to 1000 degrees every time if I let it.

So my recommendation is to get the Medium, and the Large.

:-B
  • AlohaCJS
    AlohaCJS Posts: 46
    You will NOT regret getting the Large. You MAY regret getting the Medium. Like you, there are only two of us, but if you EVER have friends over, then you will surely be happy you bought the Large.
    We had 10 family and friends over yesterday... 7.5# overnight pork butt, then ABT's and Pig Shots on the BGE as they arrived. Appetizers, ribs, corn, pizza etc, can take up a lot of space. Go bigger if you can. IMHO.
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
  • fishlessman
    stemc33 said:
    Even though I keep trying to convince myself to get the medium everything reported on the past forums say Go Big. This is such a hard decision. I guess I should take a harder look at the large.
    just be glad that the first egg is the only hard decision
    :)) the second egg will be real easy
    :D  i cook for myself and have 2 larges a small and a mini kub from vission. im kinda liking the large mini combo and my small is going to go to a friends house
    fukahwee maine

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    I retired 4 years ago and my kids gave me a medium with the indication that they were good with me trading in the medium for a large if I wanted to. After some serious debate, I did trade the medium in for the large hoping it would do everything I would ever need. I never thought I would "need" to cook 4 butts at a time, but have done it on a couple occasions. So fast forward 4 years and I now have a large, small, and a mini. 

For what you indicate you intend to use the egg for, I would say the medium would do all of that. If the difference in price is a deal breaker, I would say go with the medium and enjoy!! I am sure you would enjoy it!! Either way you would not make a bad decision!!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I guess I should call myself Mr. Medium. I started w. a single medium. I found that w. 3 of 4 kids still in the house, I needed more cooking space. Bought another medium, with which i could manage holiday dinners for 12. Now, w. the kids out of the house, I don't think I have had both going at once in the last 3 months. And, I did make PP for 14 people last week, using just 1 medium.

Just to give some affection to the medium, one of the most spectacular meals I have ever made was a hog's head.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I started off with a medium until I busted the dome, at which point I bought a large.

I loved the medium 95% of the time. I could do everything on it that I can do on the large with few exceptions. I was able to do 2 racks of ribs by making semi-circles on the grid and I was able to do 2 boneless butts from Costco without issue. I had to get creative with toothpicks, skewers and Al. foil, but it worked.

None of my Cast Iron skillets fit in my medium and I wasn't about to cut handles off heirlooms from my grandmother. If you want, you can get a Lodge skillet and do this to accommodate many cooks done in a pan, even deep dish pizza. You can find Dutch ovens that will fit no problem. The illuminates the bigger issue that the medium just does not have many accessories available for it. I had to scour the interwebs for other manufacturer's goods that would fit.

In terms of food limitations, pizza and brisket were my 2 largest issues. I had a 12 inch pizza stone for the medium which does not allow for much real estate to cook on. I lost quite a few pizzas over the edge when sliding it on, as a 12 inch pie is about the smallest I go to allow for the best time management on my end so everyone can eat at the same time. Brisket-wise, there was just no way I could fit a whole. or "packer" brisket on the egg. Apparently this can be done with a rib rack, but I couldn't find one small enough that would accommodate the brisket and allow the dome to close. I was only able to do flats on account of that.

I had no issues with fuel in the medium and went well over 26 or 27 hours at 240 just to see how long it would go for after I did a low and slow. The cook finished in the morning and it kept burning until 8pm. I had put it on around 5pm the day before. 

The only advantage I found with the medium is that it started up a bit faster than my large.

10 times out of 10, I would get the large before the medium if I did this again.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I totally agree with @Eggcelsior. I love my medium, I think you will love it too if you go with it, but if you have the $200 or whatever the difference is, go with the large.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    A medium is an ideal second egg.  I just picked up one to go with my XL.  I would go large or XL for my first egg.  The medium will be tight when grilling for 4 or more people and for Thanksgiving family turkey.  As my kids leave home, I'll use the medium more and the XL less, but having the space of a L or XL for backyard BBQ's and family gatherings is important.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I started with a large, added a small later on.  I would recommend large over the medium--seems like more accessories available, and you will have times you appreciate the extra space.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Understand your dilemma. Been there done that, bought a medium almost two years ago. No regrets. I had almost four years experience using a neighbours large KJ (same size as LBGE). 
    Situation like yours, SWMBO and I 95% of the time, 5% of cooks are for four adults and maybe a child or two. 
    To answer your questions - Long cooks are no problem for butts/brisket (OK for flats - large packers will not fit). Held a fire at 250º for over 12 hours with lots of fuel left. I expect 18-20 hours is very doable. Compared to the large KJ, the medium is very fuel efficient. @Eggcelsior might chime in on comparing fuel consumption for similar cooks, MBGE vs LBGE he would know. Two racks of ribs will fit. Canadian racks tend to be smaller and can be left whole, but I usually split to keep the ribs in the shadow of the setter. US racks are larger and I split before the cook and use a rib rack id doing two racks. 
    To me, the advantage is the fuel consumption. The disadvantage is the lack of toys and set-up rigs available for the medium, hence the flexibility. For me this has not been a show stopper. 

What are you cooking on now? For us, when cooking for larger groups the meat is cooked on the egg while the veggies and other sides are done on the gasser or in the oven if the weather is cool. I would never kick my gasser to the curb, it the best warming oven and heat proof storage spot there is, it does veggies without adding a smoke taste and the side burner is a must have for sauces and glazes. I have a 13.5" pizza stone that works just fine. 
    There will be times that a medium seems too small and you will wish you had gone with the large. On the other hand, if you buy a large, there will be times it seems too small and you will wish you had gone with an XL. It is all relative - good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • We did a 6lb Brisket overnight Friday on a MBGE.  Loaded it up to the level of the platesetter, and set our DigiQ to 225.  It cooked for 15 hours until it was perfect.  Had a little less than half the lump left when we pulled it off.

We decided to go Medium and will be adding a Small to the mix soon.

Like you, its mainly just the two of us so a medium fit our lifestyle the best.

MBGE heats up fast and we have never run out of fuel.

-----------------
    Hook'em Horns!!

2013 Medium BGE
    2013 Mini BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Get both.....you eventually will.  Large is the way to go if you're having guests, want leftovers, etc.  Then get a second large, or a medium so you can make two things at once. 

Med, Large, XL, and Rebel23

• Trip
    Trip Posts: 27
    I struggled with this as well, and ending up buying a med, then a large and last a mini.  I think the best advice I once saw on this forum was for your first egg buy the largest size you can afford.  That being said I do 95% of my cooks on the mini for a growing family of 4.  Good luck to you.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Whatever size you're looking at, buy one larger.  I got a large first, then a medium.  I probably use the medium more often, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.
    I have had a L for the past two years. Recently added a M and I agree with most people on here too. The M is perfect for that family evening meal (especially during the week). We like to entertain and the L gets used every time we have friends over. The M is slightly faster to cooking temp and considerably more fuel efficient IMHO. 

Once you make a spatchcock chicken, you will wish you had the L so you can make 2 birds at the same time! Spatchcock chicken will change your life!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I have both.  One thing that you should strongly consider is the number of accessories available in both the medium and large.  The large is the flagship of the BGE.  Lots of accessories are tailored to this size.  That is not the case with the medium.  Trust me...you will add accessories!

As an example: I am a fan of the Adjustable Rig offered by the Ceramic Grill Store.  This works with a large, but there isn't quite anything like it for the medium.  I do own the Woo from Ceramic Grill Store for the medium, but it's not as flexible.

Fortunately, I don't have to pick just one (I really love both), but if I was stranded on a island with only one grill it would be the large BGE!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Having used a medium for over a year, I cannot think of a time I needed to cook more. Mostly, all cooking is for two but have done 2 or 3 racks of ribs for guests. This took a rib rack. It will keep a fire at low and slow for 24 hours and probably longer.
    Packer brisket-I will offend many here, but personally, I think they should be used for dog food and Texans. Butts are so much better.
    Watching another day of rain on the river
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I debated the same thing too.  Family insisted I get a large so I did.  No regrets but I still think a medium would have worked for our needs.  There are only three of us.  Obviously, it's your call.  Do what you think is right for you and your family.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Medium here and same situation (95%/5%). No regrets at all. Just remember, you don't build the church for Easter Sunday!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    What started out as a quest for the medium is looking like its gonna get upgraded to a large. Not convinced yet but it's looking like a large without accessories, except a plate setter of course.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Stemc33. I started out on a quest for a large, after reading everything I'm going with the XL. It seems BGE's have a lot in common with wine cellars. Always go bigger then you think you'll need, you won't be sorry
    XL BGE
  • fishlessman
    stemc33 said:
    What started out as a quest for the medium is looking like its gonna get upgraded to a large. Not convinced yet but it's looking like a large without accessories, except a plate setter of course.
    well theres another decision or debate, the rig spider and stone setup is much more usefull than the platesetter.
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have a medium egg myself, and I have only one issue, for parties it isn't big as I would like. initially I could not afford a large, and I didn't want to buy a large without ever using an egg - I had never even seen an egg in person until going to the egg dealer.

a medium works fine for my family of four, but that is partly because I have a 2 and 4 year old.

I'm looking to get a large in the future, so my recommendation is if you can afford it, go large.
  • Just the wife and I here and sometimes the kids or guest for dinner.  I debated the if I really needed a large when I was buying my first egg.  I went with the large and have never regretted it.  Since more and more people sample what I can do on the egg, I'm very happy with my decision.  So happy that I bought a small and wished I had bought the Xlarge at the start.  Those 2 to 4 have turned into 2 to 40 at times. I now am asked to cook regularly for my wife's co-workers and mine.  They provide the meat and I provide the goodness from the BGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I got a large for christmas and love it but I wish it was a XL I'm a firm believer in the fact that bigger is better I would go with the large more versatile then the medium if you want to do a thanksgiving turkey no problem in large I think it would be a big problem or impossiable task in the medium ,with the medium your locked in to that cooking space if you have a big party and need to cook you will not be able to handle the task as with the large you can cook as little as you want and also be able to handle a big party cook Im just saying 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    My wife gave me a Medium, and I loved it so much she gave me a Large the next year, so I have both.  On one hand, it's the Medium I use by far the most, but on the other hand, like most everybody else on this discussion, if I only had one, the Large surely is the most versatile.  I use the Medium most of the time, sometimes use the Large, and a few times I've used both at once, and it's been great.  I cook steaks, burgers, chicken, pork butts on the Medium, but you can't fit very many ribs on a Medium, or two roast chickens at once.  I love my Medium the most, use it the most, but I have to agree with the others, if I only had one, I'd go for the large.

Theo
  • I've had a medium for the better part of twenty years and fed hordes of people with it.  That being said you will certainly have to be more creative juggling and timing dishes when feeding large groups.  The large is more versatile and simply offers more cooking space.  If you don't normally feed more than four, however, a medium will more than suffice.

Big meals and parties require advance planning and prep.  I've never had a problem feeding a large group with a medium as long as I gave it a little forethought.

My two cents anyway.