Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's from PA

2»

Comments

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    JSobotkin said:
    Where do you PA eggheads get their meats and their eggcessories? 

Meats and lump at the Restaurant depot. (Membership Required) It's a pain to drive into the city, but the selection can't be beat. I could spend a day in their football sized meat freezer. Picked up 5 bags of RO at $8 a 17.6lb bag last week. If your a KCBS member you can pick up a day pass for free.

I get my eggcessories at Kitchen Kapers right up the street in Paoli.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Hey eggheads in or near Pittsburgh....are there any good shops up there for eggcessories, rubs, etc? I'll be up there this weekend and would like to check out some of the local shops.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    frankc623 said:
    Hey eggheads in or near Pittsburgh....are there any good shops up there for eggcessories, rubs, etc? I'll be up there this weekend and would like to check out some of the local shops.
    Check out http://ceramicgrillworks.com/

Great guy and awesome customer service...
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73

Greencastle, Pa.

Get my stuff from Mason Dixon BBQ. Eric the owner is a great guy and has BBQ boot camps several times a summer. Each Boot Camp is different. Chicken and ribs, brisket, pork butt and whole hog. Everyone that I've attended he has someone that competes that stays and explains start to finish how to cook. He also has a local butcher come by and show you how to trim and cut the meat. Plus you can pick what cooker you want to try. Sells a lot of eggs this way I believe.

LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • JSobotkin
    JSobotkin Posts: 30
    @freduc2 -- sounds good! will have to take a look at that!

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Most of mine come from Costco. Sometimes I'll hit the local butcher, Laudermilch's Meats, but they are expensive.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • carlharper
    carlharper Posts: 28
    There's an Eggfest this Saturday in New Holland at Meadow Creek BBQ Supply. Who's planning to attend?

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• I am a new member and I am in Delaware County.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390

There's an Eggfest this Saturday in New Holland at Meadow Creek BBQ Supply. Who's planning to attend?

Thought that was August ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    thats the summer fest in august my bad 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    edited June 2013

Grew up in Philly, went to Villanova and live in Chester Springs.

Chester County, PA
  • frankc623 said:

Rolliers hardware in Mount Lebanon. It's the best in the area. Not the same as the warehouse in Atlanta but they have a decent selection for things specifically BGE.

There are some great stores in the Strip for all conceivable accessories, foods, and specialty items. Great atmosphere on the weekends too--go hungry and spend a few hours. Leaf and Bean for coffee and cigars. Penzey's Spices is fantastic but pricey. Pennsylvania Macaroni is equally fantastic and has some great deals (especially on olive oil). Go to Stan's for produce. Wholey's has one of the best fish markets on the East Coast (coming from a commercial fisherman). Jut don't wear anything that says Philadelphia or Baltimore--you might get pummeled in the street.

As an Atlanta native and diehard egger I regret to say that Pittsburgh is the better food destination--although "Pittsburgh BBQ" is anything but. You have been warned!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I'm planning on the egg event in Hatfield Pa. Hopefully that's the day I get a small. I think it's in September.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bigphil
    grege345 said:

I'm planning on the egg event in Hatfield Pa. Hopefully that's the day I get a small. I think it's in September.

September 7
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Dallastown PA, York County.  I get my eggcessories from Freds in Shillington.
  • McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    I am a new member and I am in Delaware County.

may we assume you're a lawyer?
  • bigphil
    McNuttly said:
    I am a new member and I am in Delaware County.

may we assume you're a lawyer?

=))
  • No, just always got a kick out of that name, plus it was available.

I am a carpenter, I have a large egg that I purchased 2 months ago and love it. I cooked on gas grills for years but got tired of replacing them every few years. The last one was a $$$ and did not last any longer then the cheap ones, plus you can't beat the taste of charcoal. This forum is outstanding.

• McNuttly
    McNuttly Posts: 99
    Born in Philly, raised in Delaware County, reside in Chester County.  At the rate I'm inching west I oughta be in California by the year 3057
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Rolliers hardware in Mount Lebanon. It's the best in the area. Not the same as the warehouse in Atlanta but they have a decent selection for things specifically BGE. There are some great stores in the Strip for all conceivable accessories, foods, and specialty items. Great atmosphere on the weekends too--go hungry and spend a few hours. Leaf and Bean for coffee and cigars. Penzey's Spices is fantastic but pricey. Pennsylvania Macaroni is equally fantastic and has some great deals (especially on olive oil). Go to Stan's for produce. Wholey's has one of the best fish markets on the East Coast (coming from a commercial fisherman). Jut don't wear anything that says Philadelphia or Baltimore--you might get pummeled in the street. As an Atlanta native and diehard egger I regret to say that Pittsburgh is the better food destination--although "Pittsburgh BBQ" is anything but. You have been warned!
    @spreadeaglebeagle - Rolliers is up the street from my grandmother. I will definately stop by next time I am up there. We went down to the strip over Christmas and got a few things. I love Penn Mac, such a great store. Thanks for the info!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Lived in PA a couple of times.  In Atlanta now.  My company is HQ'd in Valley Forge so am there all the time.  Have lived in Lancaster.  Like Mosby's Pub in Mt Joy.  Good folks and a lot of friends in PA.
    Milton, GA.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Add one more to the list! I grew up in Philly and now I live in Downingtown.

Just got my egg two weeks ago trying to get this temperature thing figured out :)
    Aurora,OH
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I live in Lititz and have been egging for a little over a year. My wife bought me an egg for my birthday, Christmas, New Years, Anniversary... I have really enjoyed learning from this site and cooking on the egg. I typically by my meat at Stauffer's and my egg hardware and lump from Fred's (about 30 min north of here).

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Lived in Philly, Faimount area for around three years and really liked it. Then marriage, then baby  then moved to North Wales for one year. Now in CT to be between grandparents. Miss Monks, Belgian Cafe, a little place called Figgs, Fairmount Park, Reading Terminal, just walking around the city... the list goes on. Good times. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Abington PA 77-80. Then moved to LI NY, Troy NY, Boca Raton FL, DFW, LI (again), and finally settled in Atlanta in '06.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    edited August 2013
    frankc623 said:
    Rolliers hardware in Mount Lebanon. It's the best in the area. Not the same as the warehouse in Atlanta but they have a decent selection for things specifically BGE. There are some great stores in the Strip for all conceivable accessories, foods, and specialty items. Great atmosphere on the weekends too--go hungry and spend a few hours. Leaf and Bean for coffee and cigars. Penzey's Spices is fantastic but pricey. Pennsylvania Macaroni is equally fantastic and has some great deals (especially on olive oil). Go to Stan's for produce. Wholey's has one of the best fish markets on the East Coast (coming from a commercial fisherman). Jut don't wear anything that says Philadelphia or Baltimore--you might get pummeled in the street. As an Atlanta native and diehard egger I regret to say that Pittsburgh is the better food destination--although "Pittsburgh BBQ" is anything but. You have been warned!
    @spreadeaglebeagle - Rolliers is up the street from my grandmother. I will definately stop by next time I am up there. We went down to the strip over Christmas and got a few things. I love Penn Mac, such a great store. Thanks for the info!

I'm about an hour east of Pgh and frequent the strip.  You've hit my favorite stores (Penn Mac, Penzey's, Wholey's)   I also go to a fantastic pizzeria in Mt. Lebanon, Il Pizzaoili, anyone ever been?  I'm going to be sure to stop at Rolliers the next time I'm in for pizza.  I picked up my Large at Fred's in Shillington, which is 3 hours away.  There weren't any egg dealers in my area at the time, and I was driving right past Fred's, to take my daughter to the state gymnastic competition a few years ago. 

Oh......and, Pgh BBQ.  My introduction to it was about 20 years ago at Clem's on Route 22 near Blairsville, PA.  I thought it was fantastic at the time, but have now come to realize that cooking meat for a very long time and then keeping it warm in a vat of BBQ sauce isn't real BBQ nor is it that appealing anymore. 

• Brand spanking new here from the Erie area.  Just got my LBGE fired up this past weekend.
    Albion, PA