Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of pepper is this?

Options
Will they last a while? Can they be frozen? Stored?

Good recipes?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited August 2013
    Options
    According to the Great American Chile Pepper, Fresco poster hanging in my kitchen, you have yourself what's called a "Peter Pepper".  All the brief write-up says is "A rare Ornamental, southern Louisiana and Texas".  
    Sorry I can't be more help... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    I had to look the thing up on Wikipedia, and got quite a chuckle reading about it.  This is a family forum so I'll just post the link:  Peter Pepper

;))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Botch said:
    I had to look the thing up on Wikipedia, and got quite a chuckle reading about it.  This is a family forum so I'll just post the link:  Peter Pepper

;))

:((

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2013
    Options
    That looks like what we call "Long hots" or "Long Italian hots" in Jersey.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    That looks like what we call "Long hots" or "Long Italian hots" in Jersey.
    thats what it look liked to me.  I had a plant go crazy and I dried a bunch and made some great crushed red peppers with them.  
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Look like just nice, healthy cayenne to me.  The crook in the body and fairly sharp tip make me think that.  I grow a couple of plants of them every year. 

No need to freeze them.  When they are nice and red, just pick them and use a needle and thread to string them together to dry out.  When they are nice and dry you can store them in a closed glass container for at least year.  I've stored them longer than that on occasion. 

You  can cook with them whole or tear them into pieces.  I like to grind them up with a coffee bean grinder to sprinkle into food (don't use the same one your wife uses for home coffee!).

A real nice hot pepper that is easy to work with and sure spices up your egging.

PS, DON'T forget to wash your hands every time you do anything with them!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I'm from Jersey and those look just like the ones we grow, easy to care for in this climate.  Med-Hot, I like em. We smoke them, dry them, grind them, make sauce out of them.  Versatile.  
  • Botch
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

The crook in the body and fairly sharp tip make me think that. 

I completely missed the sharp tip, thanks for the observation; not a peter pepper...

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I can do you one better than that. We were plagued by a batch of mulch that came with some phallus impudicus fungi. Very tough to get rid of (ended up having to strip and burn all mulch). Horrible stinky stuff and frequently grew multiple inches in one day. Nice pepper you've got there.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Back to the question, lol, yes, you can string them like popcorn and hang them to dry and the will keep for some time, otherwise I cut and deseed them, freeze, and just make sure you use them frozen, don't thaw first.
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Grew those last year, call them cow's horn.  Some are hot and some mild, interesting pepper.  Dried them for grinding.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    betting its a "hot portugal" pepper, they sell the plants up north because they have a shorter gow season than alot of other peppers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Cool - Will pick them this week and dry them out.

Thanks

What about Hungarian Hot peppers - Can those be dried or use them now?

Garnerville, NY