Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid brisket question?!

Options
So I got my brisket all trimmed up and ready for the egg in the morning. I might be performing blasphemy but I picked up a generic brisket rub from academy. Since this is my first brisket I don't really know what to expect from a rub. When I tasted just a pinch of it it was really spicy. Can I expect this kind of spice throughout the whole brisket or is my assessment skewed due to the concentrated taste?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You'll be fine. Maybe a bit of bite on the back end of the final product. Just concentrated now but the beef will cut that.
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it IMO. If you have doubts, just season it with salt and pepper. When it comes to brisket, the taste of the beef itself is the crowning jewel!

BTW I'm cooking brisket too...gonna put it on the egg in a couple hours 
    :-$
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Likely just take what you tasted and multiply.

I'd go with sea salt, course ground pepper, and some garlic salt. KISS method has yielded me the best results so far... Other than that, I'd do with a proven winner like Bad Byron's or something like that...

Good luck. Have fun... And remember its just meat, there's always more, plus there's always pizza if you really go off track :))
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you like somewhat spicy you should be fine. I did one with BB and tsunami spin and really liked it but the SWMBO thought it was to "hot". Live and learn, the journey is the best part

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Grrrr! I have kosher salt but just the powder black pepper. Should I add something to take the spice edge off? Maybe just go light on the seasoning?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What was the generic rub? They carry good stuff there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, or mess with it too much. I think going onto the brisket will calm it down quite a bit. You could always cut it with some brown sugar if you're really worried, but many people think sugar on brisket is the real blasphemy...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, or mess with it too much. I think going onto the brisket will calm it down quite a bit. You could always cut it with some brown sugar if you're really worried, but many people think sugar on brisket is the real blasphemy...
    Why is that by the way? 

Myron on 'BBQ Pitmasters' apparently thinks it's blasphemy, but I've never tried it. I just happened to put some brown sugar into my rub for the brisket I'm doing tonight, so we'll see how it turns out! Hopefully I won't regret it, but I have to try it at least once. I like to form my own opinions when it comes to this stuff 
    :|
  • rholt
    Options
    This one @The Cen-Tex Smoker. And I have no idea why it's upside down.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @SickEyeDiaz I'm not really sure. Sweet rubs on beef are not my favorite (I actually prefer something on the very spicy side) but I have used and enjoyed them. I certainly don't think it tastes bad, it just may not be the best pairing. I agree with you, I like to experiment, but there are certainly many folks here that can help steer you in some great directions.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    rholt said:
    This one @The Cen-Tex Smoker. And I have no idea why it's upside down.

. That's not generic. It's local stuff. I've never used it but you will be fine. Eating it out of your hand is way different than eating a thin slice of brisket after a 20 hour smoke. If you licked straight salt or pepper, it would be no more pleasant. Carry on. You are good.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Why is that by the way? 

Myron on 'BBQ Pitmasters' apparently thinks it's blasphemy, but I've never tried it. I just happened to put some brown sugar into my rub for the brisket I'm doing tonight, so we'll see how it turns out! Hopefully I won't regret it, but I have to try it at least once. I like to form my own opinions when it comes to this stuff 
    :|

You are fine as well. I don't like sweet rubs but there are plenty of world champ briskets loaded with sugar rubs (some of those rubs from tx). . Find what you like and go with that.
  • rholt
    Options
    Thanks cen-tex! In honor of you I am using some oak instead of the west Texas favorite wood mesquite. Hope the family likes the different flavor.
  • hapster
    Options
    Oak is the only wood to use for brisket... They will love it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    rholt said:
    Thanks cen-tex! In honor of you I am using some oak instead of the west Texas favorite wood mesquite. Hope the family likes the different flavor.

If you do anything in honor of me your life has taken a very strange and horrifying detour.. Oak is awesome on brisket though so you got that part right.
  • rholt
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will post the results tomorrow.
  • hapster
    Options
    rholt said:

Thanks guys. I will post the results tomorrow.

Remember to have fun...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Everyone has different tastes.  I'm a savory kinda guy.  That doesn't mean I exclude sugar from everything...sugar caramelizes into something special.  It also does a great job balancing acid.  The sweetness is greatly diminished on rubs because of the caramelizing reactions. 

I don't think rubs have as much of an impact on the final product as people think.  You can smother a butt with mustard and you don't taste it.  Focus on getting a good piece of meat and cooking it perfectly.  That makes a world of difference.  A rub can't cover up a bad cook or a bad cut of meat.  But a good cook and a good cut of meat can cover up a bad rub.
    Options
    Great insight Mr. Nola.