Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sticky swivel top. How to clean?

I've had had my BGE since April... use it 5 times a week. 

You know the black top thing that opens and also swivels (is there an official name for it?) Becasue of all this gummy sticky stuff that is built up on it it, often my gets so stuck that I need to hit it with a hammer (gently) to unstick it. Sometimes the circular swivel thing gets stuck or sometimes it the whole top gets stuck in the closed position... sometimes both.

What would I use to clean this thing to get the sticky gummy stuff off of it and make it clean like new? Maybe Gumout (if that is still made?)

Thanks.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's a daisy wheel... Throw it in the fire, clean burn,... I use oven cleaner and pressure washer... Re-season, put in the egg at 350 for a while.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Elbow grease I guess to clean but once you get past that-just throw it in the BGE once finished the cook and the cool-down will manage the crud build-up so it's no longer an issue.  BTW-it's called a daisy wheel or the offical name is Dual Function Metal Top (DFMT).  Cast iron so give it a shot of cooking oil periodically and all will be well.  Welcome aboard.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    A simple over night soak in household ammonia will do wonders - just scrub with a stiff brush under running water in the morning. This method keeps it from getting rusty and needing to be repainted or re-seasoned.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • After cleaning I simply maintain it like I maintain my cast iron pans. I just use some vegetable or canola oil and apply a thin coat all around to ensure no rust and no sticking. I do that probably once every few cooks depending on the conditions outside. 
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    I hadn't thought of putting it the egg after shutting down. My egg stays warm for hours, especially after bring it up to 500 to cook a thin steak or burgers.  I'll give it a try.

I would think ammonia would discolor the daisy wheel (good name for it) but if 'cooking' the item does not work I'll try it. After only a few months mine is not gunked up too badly... just sticky. 

Thanks. This board is terrific. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    When it's stuck, next time just put in place on the lit egg. The heat will loosen it right up
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Put in a clean burn that'll take care of it. I throw it in the egg when I shut it down as well.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Mine was gunked up after several low and slow cooks and was hard to adjust. I unscrewed both screws and soaked the whole thing in water and Dawn over night. In the AM, I finished the job with course steel wool, dried and reassembled. Good as new.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2013
    acegg77 said:

....I would think ammonia would discolor the daisy wheel....

No it won't discolor them - I've been cleaning mine this way for 13 years and all are still  rust free and black!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Lots of home brewers on here I'm surprised no one suggested using a spoonful of sani brew (diversol). Excellent at cleaning anything organic. Will corrode stainless, OK for CI. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I actually like mine a little sticky cause it ensures it won't move when I open the dome if I forget and don't set it with the screw towards the handle

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    edited August 2013
    Had the same problem and started to put the daisy wheel in the egg when I shut it down. No more problems. Easy peasy.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    I put it in the egg when done the last two cooks. Worked fine to burn off the grease on the open/close part, but the daisy wheel is still coated with grease and is hard to turn. I guess I'll have to try the ammonia method next.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I cared about it looking clean, I'd just throw it in my bead blasting cabinet.  (point is, I don't care how it looks).  I do religiously (insofar as my gods do nothing but roast dead animals) throw it in the egg before I choke off the fire.
    You really don't need it, so don't use it. Problem fixed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.