Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest 2013

Comments

• flyflinger
    flyflinger Posts: 11
    edited August 2013
    I tried to get in last year as a cook and missed the deadline. But this year I made it! So now I'm a newbie cook.

When can we access the Eggs during the weekend to start cooking? Any chance of doing so on Friday night for butts or brisket?

vidalia1, you also know me as T8MF.  :-)
  • Oops, and never mind, looks like I missed seeing the schedule when I registered:

Saturday Schedule:

7:00-8:30am - Cooks’ check-in 

9:00am - General admission opens

3:00pm - All of the EGGs will be shut down to facilitate cooling and to get them ready for transport home with their new owners

5:00pm - Venue gates close

5:30pm - EGG pick-up begins

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Glad you made it as a cook this year...a fun time will be had by all...
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Hic said:

Here is some info I have gathered from previous years & posts. I've tweaked it a little. It will benefit the newbs who have not been to an Eggtoberfest or an Eggfest;

1.Location: Stone Mountain  is about 30 minutes east of Atlanta.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

2.Timing: The ticket says Eggtoberfest is on Saturday is from 9-5.  It starts at 9.  The eggs all get shut down at 3, so that they are cool enough to take home at 5/5:30 for the people who purchase a demo.  From my experience, if you bought a demo, get in line @ 3. There’s probably 200 other people who are picking one up too.

3.Swag: After you pick up your badge, you pick up your swag bag. Pick up your swag up and return it to the car(make sure to grab your drink tickets first).  Your badge gives you in and out privileges.

4.Drink tickets: You get 5 tickets with admission.  Any drink (water, soft drink or beer) costs one ticket.  Lots of people bring their own drinks(no bottles). You can have a cooler.

5.Demonstrations: There will be scheduled demonstrations – take advantage of these.

6.The cooks: This was the best part!  There were 5 or 6 lanes of cooks and the cooks were generally in stations of several people.  There is 1 BGE per 2 people from which the cooks work .  Many of the stations have signs in front of them that said the dishes they were serving and the general times they expected to serve each dish.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert; each spaced apart by about an hour or 2.

7.Merchandise: There is a “store” where you could buy BGE, Eggsessories and Dizzy Pig products. Also a good idea to return items to your car, so you don't have to carry them around.

8.The camping registration is linked on the page with the Eggtoberfest tickets, so you can camp @ Stone Mountain..

9. Make sure to bring a chair, you’ll get tired from all the walking and will need a place to rest.

Damn....Thanks,Hic! Great info for a "newby"like me.

Do you know if they have any lump, other than BGE, for sale? Ozark Oak?

I didn't go thru the whole thread, but will you be cooking? We'll look you up!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    The only lump I have ever seen at the Eggtoberfest was the Green Egg lump. I have cooked there the last 6 years.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I'll be cooking, we're still working out our menu. I agree with @JRWhitee, they'll only have the BGE lump.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• boboegg
    boboegg Posts: 46
    It's $40 per ticket, $750 for the demo eggs.
    LBGE, Lawrenceville, GA
  • vidalia1
    I agree with everything HIC & JR said...as a taster get there when the doors open for tasters & come hungry...pace yourself on eating...alk to the cooks when possible and view the demonstrations...you will learn a ton....if you are buying a demo BGE get in line by 3...it will be a long wait but well worth it for sure...and have a great time...EGGTOBERFEST is a blast....
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    does anybody know do they provide smoking wood or do I need to bring my own ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • flyflinger
    edited August 2013
    Re: smoking wood, If I decide to smoke something I'll bring my own Apple or Cherry. I would not expect BGE to furnish smoking wood although some wood may be sold at the event in the store.

Also pairing two cooks to one egg will be a bit challenging if one cook needs a temp of 225 for 4 hours and the other cook needs 600 for searing, or 350 for baking with no smoke,
  • I am so excited about this! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • JRWhitee
    They do not provide smoking wood and as of last year they do not provide platesetters either. I would bring everything you need as they will only provide the egg, lump and grid tool. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BBQJDUB
    BBQJDUB Posts: 47
    Hello Everyone,

As a resident newbie, I'm excited that I just purchased tickets.  Going to bring the family down and go camping for the first time with children.  Looking forward to this!!!

BBQJDUB
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • JRWhitee
    @BBQJDUB you will have a blast, if you havent been to stone mountain the kids will have fun too. Tram to the top of the mountain, train ride around the park and the laser light show at night. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • vidalia1

flyflinger,

You will need to coordinate with your cooking mate as to what each of you are cooking. The shorter 1-2 hour cooks usually work best at the fests...that way each cook gets to  cook a couple of things...

& JR is correct bring everything you need but the Egg & lump...

• I'm hoping/guessing I'll know my cooking mate soon and not meet them at the Fest. :-)
  • BBQJDUB
    Thanks JRWhitee for the advice!  The laser show looks cool!
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • BBQJDUB
    Thanks Hic!!  Great advice!
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • As I prepared last year to cook for the first time at GaMtnFest, I found it helpful to prepare a checklist of things to take.  I posted it on other forum, and update it occassionally as necessary.  The link is below, feel free to print out and use if it helps you.  If you forget something on the list, come see me and borrow it.  Of course you don't need everything on the list--will vary depending on what you are cooking, but maybe you will find it helpful:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=224&func=view&catid=17&id=1313460#1313460

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Jrwhitee I spoke to costumer service and they told me that plate setter will be provided 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • And we knew it was coming - cooks registration is closed. From the BGE site:

"YIKES! UNFORTUNATELY, REGISTRATION FOR COOKS HAS REACHED CAPACITY – We will be maintaining a Wait List. To put your name on the Wait List, please send an email to EGGtoberfest@biggreenegg.com. Please put Wait List in the subject line. If spots open up, we will fill requests in the order in which your email was received. There is no guarantee that spots will open up. If you purchase an EGGtoberfest ticket and a cook spot opens up later, your ticket cost (and up to one additional cook) will be refunded. "
  • flyflinger
    edited August 2013
    SmokingTiger, thank you. That's a great checklist.

Will electricity be provided? For electric starters, food processors, lamps, etc.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    how many eggs are they going to cook on?

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• JRWhitee
    That is good news on the platesetter Charles, last year they didn't give us one but had in previous years. Thanks for checking.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited August 2013

Actually, at most fests I think you do have to pay some ething to cook, but price greatly reduced normally.  For example, GaMtnFest was $10 for cooks if I remember correctly.  But, for that I got a covered space with electricity, tables and chairs, overnight on site security with the ability to do an overnight cook on Friday and come back in to check things if I needed to, free meet and greet, cooks gift bag, and eligible for nice cooks drawings prizes.  Plus, got to meet a lot of great folks from forums, so all in all, a great price for a lot of fun.   

That doesn't sound too bad. Salado... @Mickey worked the $*!# out of me, @ Village Idiot wouldn't take my picture and @Griffin wouldn't talk to me... Damn, I'm not going back.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    I guess you need to come to Georgia to get some "Southern Hospitality"  :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Damn it @henapple! I wanted to talk to you, but due to a flat tire our time was limited and @Mickey was keeping you busy with the lights.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2013
    @henapple & @Griffin: No whining at EggFests: it's the only damn rule.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I thought it was whining and dining...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN