Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where can one buy phosphates?

Options
Hear it mentioned on Pitmasters. Used for injections. I know KCBS frowns on it. Where do you get it? Just curious.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this place would have it, look under brines
    http://www.butcher-packer.com/
    they have most curing products, starter type molds for cured sausages etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

We choose to use "Butcher BBQ" products.   Their injections have phosphates in them.  They also sell the phosphate separately.

Link

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Are you wanting to use the phophates for competition bbq or for what you make at home?

I was on a Google hangout panel last night for a BBQ Q and A.  One of my fellow panel members was Meathead Goldwyn from AmazingRibs.com and he made a great point - that people should not be watching BBQ Pitmasters to learn to make backyard BBQ, they would be better off following a recipe like Carwash Mikes or something like that and then experimenting.  Competition cooks aim for that "one bite" bbq for the judges and most will tell you that they do NOT eat their competition BBQ at home. 

I use Butchers BBQ (has phosphates) for my comp brisket but when I'm just making brisket to eat at home, I like to use a cup of beef broth with 1-2 Tablespoons of Braggs Liquid Aminos (tastes like soy sauce). 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    @nibblemethis, I actually asked on behalf of an Egg-less friend. I'm too much of a rube and a noob when it comes to phosphates and competition stuff. My brisket is slathered in Byron's, slapped on the Egg, and served after hitting 205 and taking a 30 minute rest. I've injected apple juice into a Boston Butt once.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Are you wanting to use the phophates for competition bbq or for what you make at home?

I was on a Google hangout panel last night for a BBQ Q and A.  One of my fellow panel members was Meathead Goldwyn from AmazingRibs.com and he made a great point - that people should not be watching BBQ Pitmasters to learn to make backyard BBQ, they would be better off following a recipe like Carwash Mikes or something like that and then experimenting.  Competition cooks aim for that "one bite" bbq for the judges and most will tell you that they do NOT eat their competition BBQ at home. 

I use Butchers BBQ (has phosphates) for my comp brisket but when I'm just making brisket to eat at home, I like to use a cup of beef broth with 1-2 Tablespoons of Braggs Liquid Aminos (tastes like soy sauce). 

+1000 I have always wanted to compete at some level but I really just love to cook to eat and to cook for service. BBQ comps are cool but they are not really the way I prefer to eat or serve so I can never get fired up enough to make it happen. I want to some day though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Start up a parsley garden next winter.