Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought a calf

Options
Grass fed hormone free Angus Longhorn cross.  Needs 2 more months in pasture then he will belong to the family.  We are splitting it up 4 ways.  Total cost including slaughter, butchering and wrapping for freezer is $2.40 per pound.  The brisket will be small so that will go for ground meat.  Only thing none of us want the tongue...butcher gets to keep that.  
I have asked for shank bones cut to 4 inch lengths, for the cheeks (no one else wants them) and for the skirt steak.   Not sure how we are going to split up the tail (we all want that for stock).  
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Are you going to name him before ya'll slaughter him?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    He already has a name..I don't want to know his name or see a picture of him cause if I do I won't be able to eat him.  
    Niece and NIL went out last weekend to see him and they said he was really a good looking calf....That is all I want to know.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I believe this is him.

I know he's a cute booger, but don't feel bad, he's a real jerk. He deserves what's coming
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thought you were going to spatchcock it =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Why doesn't anyone want the tongue? I'm still digging around the deep freeze looking for our tongue, I know the cow had to have one. 

Congrats man, going to taste amazing. 

XLBGE 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Nice, but shouldn't the title be "Just bought half half calf"?   :D, just funnin!
    canuckland
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I believe this is him.

I know he's a cute booger, but don't feel bad, he's a real jerk. He deserves what's coming

:-)). :-)) Did you notice the spot near the shoulder looks like a boors head One head too. Like the tail
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    You could name him "Sir Loin" "Hamburger" "Rump Roast". That is what I did when we were raising our own beef on a hobby farm we once had. That way the kids didn't get to attached to them. :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Good call on the cheeks. We just got back from Vegas and I had veal cheek capellaci (stuffed pasta) that was to die for. I'd love to find some to play around with.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TamaleTim
    TamaleTim Posts: 24
    Options
    Take the tongue!  I made some great lengua tamales last New Years!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good luck with the 1/4 when it arrives. Friend ran a herd of about 50 Herfords on his hobby farm. Helped him slaughter a couple for some of the meat. One guy who helped us pretty much became a vegetarian after watching, Depends how you have been brought up I think. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    @griffin Check Mexico for the cheek meat. I just took a whole load down that way :) At the warehouse I said "what in the heck do they use this for" A mexican responded "that is our Sunday meat" I had never heard of it before. Working in the packing industry has opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. Some of it good lol. I hauled a load of chicken feet down to a port, they were going to China to be sold on sidewalks. Amazingly we use something like 98% of the chicken, 93% of the cow, and a high percentage of the pig. I don't know what they do with all of the parts and I learned early on....don't ask...they might tell :)
    Southern Indiana
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Good luck with the 1/4 when it arrives. Friend ran a herd of about 50 Herfords on his hobby farm. Helped him slaughter a couple for some of the meat. One guy who helped us pretty much became a vegetarian after watching, Depends how you have been brought up I think. 

From when my Mom was little until I first remember going there my grandparents got a calf every year. They lived on a potato farm so they just kept it there. They always named it Freddie (no idea why), and every once in a while Freddie would disappear for a little while and then there would be another Freddie, although this one was much smaller...

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited July 2013
    Options
    years ago, I knew someone who had pigs named Pork and Chop.... :)