Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which way have you had the most success cooking brats and Italian sausage?

Options
Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was thinking about throwing some brats and sausage on tonight. I have done them about every way imaginable except indirect slow and low. I like to cook them at 275 raised direct but was wondering which method you guys have had the best success with.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    350ish raised direct is how I do them.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Raised direct between 375/400* for me. Any higher temp and the casings split.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Ditto with Mighty Quinn.  Turn often.  Takes about 20 minutes.

Living Large and XL

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    And don't forget the beer sauna for late arriving guests.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I do them raised indirect at about the same temps as the other guys are using. Just hate when the skin bursts and you lose all that delicious fat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'm trying to to time my drinking tonight with these. I want to throw them on when I have a buzz and pull them off when I'm about drunk and have the munchies. :\">
    I think im going to try to cook them at a little lower temp to accomish this. I think it will be difficult to mess these up
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Old Post but I just ate the best Italian Sausage I have ever had today.  I went with 4 big chunks of apple wood, indirect and then raised (used grid extender from ceramic grill works) for a full hour @ 300F-350F.  No pics because I did not imagine this kind of result, but unreal. I usually cook them 400F raised direct for much shorter time, but not anymore. The sausage was simple store bought Johnsonville Sweet Italian.  The rest of it is going on my pizza tonight.  Sorry no pics, just sharing the formula! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

350ish raised direct is how I do them.

+1

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Raised direct at 350.  I ring around the hot spot at first and move in over the fire toward the end.  A good cook for an XL where you can get off the direct fire.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like 250-300º indirect in beer and onion for the brats, Italian sausage always butterflied, direct at 350º.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I like to braise them in hot water with lots of Oregano, then finish/brown them on direct high in the dome.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Options
    I cook my brats in the morning at 350 until they are browned. Drop them in a pot with cold lager beer and onions to soak all day. The brats take on the flavor in the beer and onions. Then just heat the pot up and cook until onions are done!
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I smoke them at 250 until done. Always turn out great.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I am pretty much with DrewdIc17 above:  Cook them fast and hot on direct heat, then let them simmer in lots of onions and beer until serving time. Great flavor that way
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I've done brats multiple ways and have come to rely on two different methods. Each method is done based on how I want my guests to eat the brats. If I'm going with brats in sub rolls then I always cook the brats direct at 350 to get that snap when you bit into the brat. Now if I'm serving the brats to be eaten with a fork and knife I always smoke them at 250 for an hour and a half. It gives it a great flavor and is definitely my favorite way to do them. There is not as much snap to the Cason using the indirec method so I wouldn't recommend that cooking techniques of you are going to use buns.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    +2 on Drewdlc17 and don't for get the Kraut and spicy mustard.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @mud_pig I think you explained it very well.  You have two options: 1) serving on bun then go raised direct for a snap, 2) raised indirect low-and-slow when you are slicing to add to dish like pasta, pizza, etc.  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use my ci griddle. Onion and peppers coated with Evo, throw the sausages in after a little while till done. Cook slow... More beer time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i add italian dressing to the sausage and peppers while they cook down and soften, tastes more like the sausage subs outside fenway during the sox games
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I love all my grills and smokers but for some reason, this may sound crazy but my favorite way for hot Italian sausage is in a crock pot with sauce and peppers and onions on low all day.

Maybe I cook slow in foil pan with everything and try it on the egg at low temp all day.