Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Watching Pitmasters, and just saw Bull Dog BBQ grate some lump into a finishing salt. What a great idea - on the list to try.

Comments

• Grillwino
    Grillwino Posts: 17
    Watching as well. Not sure how that would taste? Interesting.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Adam perry Lang has finishing salts in his book charred and scruffed, in on there is charcoal I have yet to try it but it gets me curious.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    :-?
    A little scared of this one

XLBGE 
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    U_tarded said:

Adam perry Lang has finishing salts in his book charred and scruffed, in on there is charcoal I have yet to try it but it gets me curious.

I grabbed his BBQ 25 book. Good stuff. I love how the pages are thick and quasi-laminated like a kid's book.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I always Microplane some charcoal into my rubs.  I can't really taste it, but it's more to tell my guests that my charcoal is the secret ingredient (in more ways than one.)

Now when using it when a finishing salt on a steak or some simple, you can taste it.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    GQuiz said:
    I grabbed his BBQ 25 book. Good stuff. I love how the pages are thick and quasi-laminated like a kid's book.
    25 is great too.  I am excited that they are re-releasing Serious BBQ so I can finally afford a copy.  
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    The marinades are wonderful from Lang's BBQ 25. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    That's very interesting.  My dog loves to eat the charcoal that I spill.  I always thought he was crazy, but maybe he is on to something.  haha
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    :-t dusting food with charcoal??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GQuiz
    U_tarded said:
    GQuiz said:
    25 is great too.  I am excited that they are re-releasing Serious BBQ so I can finally afford a copy.  

Just took the plunge there, too. Amazon has it new for just under $32.

• Sounds like a gimmick to me. I have no desire to eat charcoal dust.

Little Rock, AR

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    What about the VOC's we wait to burn off now its ok to eat?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Good point, Bayarad.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I've heard of that but seeing someone doing it in a competition situation like that really surprised me.   I am not sure I am in a hurry to try this idea out myself.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Not sure if it matters, but he did make a point to mention that it was 100% organic charcoal (whatever that means).

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    A way to use the lump charcoal dust-no need for additional labor :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    RV10Flyer said:
    Not sure if it matters, but he did make a point to mention that it was 100% organic charcoal (whatever that means).

That's a buzz word.......and you can take advantage of consumers with ZERO accountability since it's not food/drink or a body care item. 

From the FAQ's on our website:

Is Rockwood Lump Charcoal "organic"?

Our charcoal is all-natural. It is made from 100% Missouri hardwood trees growing in the wild. It contains zero chemicals, fertilizers, or pesticides. We could legally say it is "organic"; however, it would misrepresent the product and corrupt the word itself.

"Organic" gets thrown around a lot now, but there are strict USDA regulations when and where you can use it in terms of food and beverage labeling. Typically, it's used to show the product was "organically farmed" under the regulations of 7 CFR Part 205--free of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, etc. It is also used, but not as regulated, to label textiles and personal hygiene products.

First off, our charcoal not "farmed"--it comes from trees growing naturally in the forest.  Furthermore, our charcoal is not consumed, nor worn on or applied to a person's body.  For these reasons, we have chosen not to debase the word "organic" by using it to describe a fuel.

We fully support the organic movement 100% by keeping it natural.  We definitely can say that certified organic products taste the best when prepared over all-natural lump charcoal!

Just so you know, Rockwood is also cage-free, dolphin friendly, MSG-free, and made with love.  :D

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    stlcharcoal said:  Just so you know, Rockwood is also cage-free, dolphin friendly, MSG-free, and made with love.  :D

:))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    RV10Flyer said:

That's a buzz word.......and you can take advantage of consumers with ZERO accountability since it's not food/drink or a body care item. 

From the FAQ's on our website:

Is Rockwood Lump Charcoal "organic"?

Our charcoal is all-natural. It is made from 100% Missouri hardwood trees growing in the wild. It contains zero chemicals, fertilizers, or pesticides. We could legally say it is "organic"; however, it would misrepresent the product and corrupt the word itself.

"Organic" gets thrown around a lot now, but there are strict USDA regulations when and where you can use it in terms of food and beverage labeling. Typically, it's used to show the product was "organically farmed" under the regulations of 7 CFR Part 205--free of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, etc. It is also used, but not as regulated, to label textiles and personal hygiene products.

First off, our charcoal not "farmed"--it comes from trees growing naturally in the forest.  Furthermore, our charcoal is not consumed, nor worn on or applied to a person's body.  For these reasons, we have chosen not to debase the word "organic" by using it to describe a fuel.

We fully support the organic movement 100% by keeping it natural.  We definitely can say that certified organic products taste the best when prepared over all-natural lump charcoal!

Just so you know, Rockwood is also cage-free, dolphin friendly, MSG-free, and made with love.  :D

So where can a brother pic up a bag of this Epic charcoal?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    Kosko said:

So where can a brother pic up a bag of this Epic charcoal?

Did you email me today??  I had guy from Peachtree City, GA email me this morning.

Five pallets of Rockwood left there warehouse this morning bound for Atlanta--they'll be there tomorrow.  Send me an email and I'll give you the guy's name that they went to.

I'm in talks with a distributor down there......hopefully it will be available in stores soon.

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    edited July 2013

Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    He also came in last. Did you see the one competitor (can't remember his name) say how it bends him out of shape that "restaurant" cooks try to compete. =)) Reminds me of last year when there was a show (maybe a special version of pitmasters) where they showed actual competition events and highlighted like 6 teams. They had a chef from McKinney, TX competing for the first time and he came in basically last (out of 150 + teams) every event. Johnny Trigg took him under his wing and he got better...but it's not the same. I've always wanted to do a local competition...but I have no expectations, just want to have the experience.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • GQuiz
    Chefs cook what a customer wants to eat. Competition cooks go for all the flavor in one bite to impress the judges. Every good competition cook I've met says their BBQ for their friends and family is way different than what the judges get. Chances are the Chef stuff at a cook off is the most palatable.

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Definitely not interested in eating charcoal powder
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Maybe NakedWhiz could add "Taste" as a category...
    Cookin in Texas
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    And I want to eat powdered lump why? I just can't see putting powdered wood on my food.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399

He also came in last. Did you see the one competitor (can't remember his name) say how it bends him out of shape that "restaurant" cooks try to compete. =))

Reminds me of last year when there was a show (maybe a special version of pitmasters) where they showed actual competition events and highlighted like 6 teams. They had a chef from McKinney, TX competing for the first time and he came in basically last (out of 150 + teams) every event. Johnny Trigg took him under his wing and he got better...but it's not the same. I've always wanted to do a local competition...but I have no expectations, just want to have the experience.

Yeh that was season one and the guys name was Paul. He really struggled a great deal that season.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!