Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size for Second Egg?

It's time to expand the family.  While SWMBO might not yet be completely aligned, I'm considering taking the plunge on a second BGE.  I currently host a large with every key accessory (I still refuse to use the term "eggcessory").  The net here is I have a need to cook at substantially different temperatures simultaneously.  My question is, should I consider a small, a medium, or simply get another large since I have everything I think I could possibly want in that size?  

Your opinions are requested and appreciated.

Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    "SWMBO might not yet be completely aligned" love this quote....so, the CFO hasn't approved this purchase yet then?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I have a large as well and I wanted my second egg to be mobile. So, I got a small and an egg carten.Now,I can easily take it camping, tailgating etc...Others will argue,but it just comes down to what you want to accomplish by having a second egg.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I love my XL, but in that situation if be tempted to double down on the lbge. It would be nice to be able to use all the extras you've already invested in across both.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited July 2013
    My vote is for a second large because you can share the eggcessories.  I started with a large like you and then went large, small, mini.  I would love to have an XL, but with just my wife and I it never made sense.  If you have kids at home or cook for large groups it might make sense for you.

Mike

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    @Gogogordy...spot on.  I consider this a grey area.  This will have to be a very creative CBA to pass muster.  This might be a time to ask for forgiveness rather than plead for permission. :-)

@Randy1...I like the idea of portability.  I'd love to show off for those who haven't experienced the magic of the Egg.  Is the small really that portable?

@Black_Badger...the XL is my wildcard.  That might drive a divorce, but oh, the flexibility would be astonishing.

• TEggSun
    @BOWHUNR....what is that stand for the mini?  Looks like it might be robotic.  Can you summon it to you?

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Custom wrought iron by an iron worker friend of the family.  It won't come when called, but it's easy enough to carry just about anywhere.  BTW, it withstood 80 mph straight line winds three weeks ago.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TEggSun
    Great looking stand!  Your friend has mad talent, @BOWHUNR

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited July 2013

I have one of each of the eggs, and I have kind of grown to like a few over some of the others.  I started with large, then small, medium, mini, and finally xl a few weeks ago.  I love all of them, but would easily say the small is my least favorite.  The medium has a larger inlet and outlet (exact same as large), so it does what I want in relation to high heat.  The small shares the same inlet as the mini, but with a larger volume, which makes high heat a chore, and not the effortless "open the vent more" step you have in the others.  If you want to go smaller than a large for the second egg, I would put in a strong recommendation for the medium.

Regarding sharing accessories, I am not sure if I think that matters.  I have a bubba keg kamado, and it can use all of the accessories that I have for the large (adjustable rig, woo, platesetter, etc.).  But if I want to use the adjustable rig, and its in use in the other egg, I cant share it in the egg that I want.  I guess it is  perspective in the way people see how they use their accessories.  If its in one egg, it can only be in that egg, the other egg is accessory-less, you may a well have a different size at that point because it needs its own accessory to fire them both at the same time.  I used the woo extender in the xl last night for pizza.  That accessory is for the large, but don't tell the xl that.  Wow I am getting wordy, not sure if I helped.

Get the medium :)

• TEggSun
    That was very helpful, @cookingdude555.  

How portable is the medium?

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I never take my eggs anywhere. I have weber kettles and a bubba keg for that. I would say the medium would be portable. Hell my nephew and I carried the xl from my van around the side of the yard, so I think the medium would be fine. I think the small or mini would be the best for portability though.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I have a medium and it is decently mobile. I took it over to my Dads on 4th of July and it was a one man move. I took out all the inner ceramics and was fine.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    I'd go with the same size that you already have.  If you are like me you have a whole shed full of accessories for you current egg that don't work with other sizes.

I'll be getting another XL at some point.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited July 2013
    i bought the large and then the small , if done over there would be two larges at the house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Peronally, I think, when going for a second egg, portability ought to stay in the equation. Sometimes you may have the need to take one with you.

The earlier comments about the small being slow for hi heat is true. He does not want to do the run away nuclear hi temps. More comfortable with roasting temps say till around 500 very easy.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

How many people are you usually cooking for? It's normally just the two of us here during the week and the Mini gets a lot of action. Works perfectly in conjunction with the large when you need two grills at different temps. Also comes in handy when you are doing low and slow (brisket, ribs, butts, etc) and your pescatarian cousin comes over and wants to grill some fish or shrimp or gasp...veggie burgers. Oh...does that just happen at my house?

I've already decided what my next grill is going to be, and I'll probably get flamed on, but I want an Old Smokey. It was the first grill I ever owned and what I learned to cook on. My brother bought it for me as a present back when I was in college for my birthday one year. Just brings back memories. Wish some punk kids hadn't stolen it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I will likely add another Large some day. I think the perfect setup is a table with 2 larges in it and then a modular table with a mini. Endless possibilities with this setup.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    You answered your own question I think. You are cooking at different temps, not needing more space or portability. 
    A second egg is best to be the same size as the one you already have. The use of all the gadgets and gizmos in either egg is really nice and super cost effective, allowing alignment of SWMBO. 
    Now for the third egg.......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2013
    Second Egg should be another Large and a Mini. Sure works for me. Only two of us 95% of the time. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    We just added a M to our household that I found on Craigslist about a month ago. We have had our L for about 2 years and I love cooking on it. There are four of us in our family and number five is on the way. While I thought I wanted to add an XL for when we entertain, I couldn't pass up on this M. What I really wanted was to easily fit full racks of ribs on the grate as they are usually a little long for my L.  Now that I have the M, I don't really see the need for us to have an XL as we can really get the job done with these two. 

The bonus is we use the M now for our simple family dinners since it heats up very quickly and uses less charcoal. Good luck with your decision - more eggs are always better!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have an XL.  My next will be a medium.  I think a medium will handle my cooking needs as the kids leave the nest and is big enough for when I need dual heat. 

Think about when you've wanted dual heat and the space the second heat range needed.  Has the large ever left you short on space?  Will you be hosting big BBQ's?  I'd let questions like this guide your decision.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • TEggSun
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.  I like the flexibility of going portable with a medium, but I'm not sure that would happen often at all.  I will likely go with a second large and save some cash on the accessories.

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Don't rule out the medium just yet.  I hear what you are saying TEggSun, but I was in a similar boat as you.  I purchased a demo large to go with the large I already owned.  While waiting to pick-up the demo unit from the local Eggfest, my lucky number was drawn (first time this ever happened!) and I went home with a medium as well.

Three eggs were a bit overkill for my family and yard.  I put the medium and started cooking with the two larges exclusively.  I thought I could save some $$$ and share accessories.  Truth is, I found I needed to purchase a second set of the more commonly used items to cook the way I like.

I ended-up giving the demo egg to my father and keeping the medium.  I like the portability, and the cooking size is a great compliment for the large (at least it is for our household).  While it doesn't have the same number of accessories as other size eggs, the Woo 2 with a 10" stone and the Group-buy Grill Extender have turned out to be all I need for this second unit.

Either way, you can't go wrong.  You'll love having the second egg!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I'm real good with Large and Mini, as in the picture I posted on the later thread "Co you travel with your egg?" by @fiver49.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As others have said it depends on your needs. If you never plan on traveling get another large. Its the most popular for a reason. If you plan on traveling 2 deep then get a mini if more are coming get a small. I had 2 larges outback and then got a mini and small in a table out front because that's where we hang most. Then too many people started coming over and hanging in the garage so I sold a large and moved a large out front and the small out back and bought an XL for out back also. Now a can do multiple temps in both locations for lots of people and can do overnighters outback. We travel with our eggs frequently but if it wasn't for that I'd have 4 larges probably (and a mini).
  • I would do 2 larges if you can swing it. The 3rd should be your portable one.... A mini.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I have a large and medium.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Have had large for three years and bought medium last year.  I tend to use both when we have company.  Then I can have two different temperatures going for different things.

Would like to add a small or mini but with just wife and I and friends or family once in a while see no need for XL