Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grilling Grates

Does anyone use the CI grilling grates? If so, would you recommend. Thanks!!

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I have one and I like it. Don't know what it actually adds to the cook but it makes great marks on steaks. I have a swing grate coming so I probably won't use it anymore. It cost me 60$ I think. So think about your future buys (eggcessories).
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    This is what I have.  I love it, some like stainless steel, I like cast iron.

https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

I have them also and prefer over steel.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662

I'd take a look a Mangrates, I hear they are phenomenal!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I use my CI grid all the time. SWMBO likes a well done steak and she likes grid marks, so it does that for her. To actually cook, transfer IR heat from burning lump to the food, SS is scientifically better at getting that mahogany brown everywhere color without the grid lines. 
    Almost all of us have at least two grids, having one SS and one CI just gives you some options. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have an 18" CI grid I use with my WOO2 for searing steaks and lamb chops.  Gives a very nice presentation when I crosshatch the grill marks. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't use them.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I have a CI that I use with the spider to drop it down into my large close to the lump.

Good for doing the cool cross-hatch marks on nice big steaks.   That's about all I use it for.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Love my CI grates. Use it for pretty much everything except for low and slow. Does add great sear marks to whatever you cook. The grates are also closer together so smaller items such as shrimp, scallops, and veggies don't fall through as easy.

Here are some decent sear marks..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

at what temp is a t bone rare, medium rare, medium, medium well done.

125,135,145,155,165 respectively.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I use my CI for burgers, steaks and especially meatloaf.  Set it with the flat edges up and it allows smoking better than in a pan and doesn't fall between the slots like a wire grid.  Wouldn't be without it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I just got the CI grate a few weeks back. Once it's on and hot for a few hours, I couldn't figure out a easy way to stir the coals with the ash tool. It won't fit between the grate. I guess I could have lifted it up with one hand and stirred the coals with the other... Seemed too dangers to me.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I'd take a look a Mangrates, I hear they are phenomenal!

If you like your steak with rust.. Get the mangrates.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Have a small ci grate down on my spider. Great sear and grill marks. Regular stainless racks up top
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    I've ordered the CGW Swing Rack with the low carbon steel grids, supposed to work like cast iron. I plan on using the upper rack close to the coals with the Woo2 for searing.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Got a CI from amazon. Love it. Totally transformed the way I cook on the egg. 
  • FireTower
    FireTower Posts: 69
    edited July 2013
    Cast iron grates are essential for grilling. I have them. It's the only thing I use for grilling. 

I worked in a kitchen for several years. That's what our commercial grill came with. 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    SmyrnaGA said:
    I just got the CI grate a few weeks back. Once it's on and hot for a few hours, I couldn't figure out a easy way to stir the coals with the ash tool. It won't fit between the grate. I guess I could have lifted it up with one hand and stirred the coals with the other... Seemed too dangers to me.
    I preheat my grids and lift them up to add the wood just before the meat goes on.  Get a grid lifter like this: 
    http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.