Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first set if spares!!!

Options
Trying some spare ribs this afternoon,I hope they turn out okay.Im cooking at 250 dome rubbed with dizzy dust and using cherry chips. Going to do three hours then one hour in foil and then 30 minutes saucing.

Damn membrane never comes off easy!!!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hope it goes well. Make sure the ribs are close to passing the bend test before saucing. If they are not quite folding over, give them some more time out of the foil, and then put on pre-heated sauce when they are just coming apart. Give the sauce a few minutes ooze together.

I made a few racks that were the worst of both worlds. Meat not cooked enough, and still tough, covered by sweet sauce that had partially burnt, and become bitter by the time I took the racks off. Actually, no worse than a few of the now gone rib joints in my area, but nothing I care to repeat.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    gdenby said:

Hope it goes well. Make sure the ribs are close to passing the bend test before saucing. If they are not quite folding over, give them some more time out of the foil, and then put on pre-heated sauce when they are just coming apart. Give the sauce a few minutes ooze together.

I made a few racks that were the worst of both worlds. Meat not cooked enough, and still tough, covered by sweet sauce that had partially burnt, and become bitter by the time I took the racks off. Actually, no worse than a few of the now gone rib joints in my area, but nothing I care to repeat.

Will do that ,nothing worse than wasting five hours for burnt tasting ribs.
    Wish I knew why my dome is at 250 and my Mav is at 265??? Which would u trust???? Going to check the cal of dome thermo later.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Coat with honey in the foil... I never remove the membrane on spares... A crunchy treat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    was going to coat in honey and brown sugar....do i need a liquid such as apple juice to kinda braise the ribs when in the foil as well??

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Grasshopper you are growing up so fast :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't worry about getting different temps from the Maverick and the dome therm. 10 or 15 degrees either way from 250 only means the time to finish will be a little longer or shorter. If the dome temp is holding pretty stable, just let them go.

I haven't foiled my ribs for years. But when I did, I mixed enough apple juice w. honey or maple syrup so that the meat side down ribs were simmering in a  sweet fluid. I stopped because on one occasion, I left the ribs in the sugary solution too long, and the ribs turned into a sort of pork taffy. Edible, but not what i wanted.

Honestly, a good rack of spare ribs can be done w. nothing more than salt and pepper, oak or hickory for smoke, and 6 hours in an Egg at dome 250.  Everything beyond that is icing on the cake.
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Looking good!!! 30 min to go I'm starved!! These look to good to taste bad!!!

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Look nice man =D>

XLBGE 
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    Looks great!
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh, by your thread title I thought you had invited Mickey and VI over for dinner. Nice ribs though ;)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX