Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Table Nest accessory necessary?

Options
FireTower
FireTower Posts: 69
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Does the BGE require airflow under it? I want to remove my XL BGE from its nest and put it in a custom stack-stone counter on my patio. I noticed that some people place their BGEs on a piece of concrete, some use a Table Nest, and some use four little spacers that kind of look like duck feet when installed. What's the proper way to have a BGE built in to an outdoor kitchen patio?

Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is kind of a weird thing, they now sell a nest for the xl, but ever since they started makeing the xl, bge recommended to put the xl right onto a patio stone with no space for that particular sized egg. they even said that the space may be detrimental and cause the bottom of an xl to crack if unsupported across the middle.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    it's my understanding that the need for placing the egg on something within the table is due to heat from the bottom of it not needing to touch wood......I may be wrong though.

I am way surprised by the comment about BGE recommending that the XL be placed on something solid due to it possibly cracking.....i was unaware of that and it concerns me as I have a brand new XL in a nest and it will be in a nest for at least the next several months.  yikes!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Yes it needs air flow. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Talked to three dealers and BGE directly when I bought mine just to make sure on this issue because I was building my own table and they no longer sold/included the feet (this was pre table nest as well).  I was told on each occasion that there was no need for air flow and a concrete paver or fire bricks etc. was sufficient.  Had mine sitting on a paver for over a year with no issues whatsoever.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Mine sitting directly on a paver and it cooks like a champ. No issues at all. Actually have two pavers stacked due to my fine measuring skills whilst building my table.

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Mine sitting directly on a paver and it cooks like a champ. No issues at all. Actually have two pavers stacked due to my fine measuring skills whilst building my table.
    glad it works for you, the question is: what is the temp of the wood under the bottom paver? An air gap of less than 1/2" is better than a 2" thick paver. On long cooks the paver will tend to become the same temp as the bottom of the egg. Friend has these, works great. 
    I use a table nest, my BGE is not in a table. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have TWO pavers so its actually bout 4 inches.

Little Rock, AR

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    If the egg if on about a 2" paver I doubt the wood under it would start on fire. I have not seen anyone post that the table burned down. At least by the egg's doing. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No need for airflow under it.  Mine sits on a block built-up table and it cooks wonderfully.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Not sure where everyone is getting their information from, but I've had my XL on an egg table nest for months now with no issue. I bought it directly from mothership. I don't think they would be selling an egg table nest for the XL if it compromise its lifespan.

Did they recall the XL table nest?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited July 2013
    Options

My 2¢

The table nest does keep the Egg from heating up the table/counter around it.  For $30 it creates a much cleaner look than a pile of pavers. IMO

There was a problem with people using the ceramic feet under the XL.  The XL did not come with ceramic feet.   

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

My 2¢

The table nest does keep the Egg from heating up the table/counter around it.  For $30 it creates a much cleaner look than a pile of pavers. IMO

There was a problem with people using the ceramic feet under the XL.  The XL did not come with ceramic feet.   

this is where im confused, the feet would do exactly the same thing as the table nest and yet bge was so against the use of feet with the XL egg. must of posted this 5 times before it got thru to the forum
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    wow....im so confused......i have an XL sitting in a nest, no issues so far.....but I'm planning on building a deck and when I do I will likely do a table for the egg.....when I do are you guys saying that the little BGE "feet" that my dealer gave me are not recommended by BGE corporate?

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I think the feet did not give 360 degree support where the nest does. I have a stone under mine and no issues.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    The ceramic feet create pressure points that can lead to cracking of the base.  The table nest (or rolling nest) lend far better support under the XL Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA