Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pitmaster ribs

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Doing some stl ribs tonight. I hardly ever watch pm buy watched them cook stl style. Damn they load them down with stuff.

Mustard
A bunch.. Repeat, a bunch of rub
Baste... Butter, more rub, sauce
Foil, butter, brown sugar, sauce, more rub
Finishing.. More sauce and rub

Can you taste the pork. Pork candy?

Myron loved them. It just seems like overkill to me.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I want to taste smoke and I want to meat to have some flavor. I agree with you, it just seems like too many ingredients. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Didn't see that episode. I've cooked ribs the way Johnny Trigg does 'em. First bite...wow! Couldn't eat much past that. When you only have a bite or two to wow a judge and leave an impression, you really have to pack in the flavor. So much so, that eating a bunch of ribs done that way is just not good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Didn't see that episode. I've cooked ribs the way Johnny Trigg does 'em. First bite...wow! Couldn't eat much past that. When you only have a bite or two to wow a judge and leave an impression, you really have to pack in the flavor. So much so, that eating a bunch of ribs done that way is just not good.
    That's very interesting.  I've never thought of it that way but it makes a lot of sense.  I've always figured that if one of my friends who I know has a big appetite stops after only half a rack then they weren't up to my usual standard - but it never occurred to me that you need to take a very different approach to competition ribs. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Just remember most of those guys cook ribs for competition much different from the ones they do at home for their own consumption.  In fact, I saw an interview with Johnny Trigg and he admitted it.  Just as @Griffin says above, they're trying to wow the judges with one bite.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I realize... Just still seems too much.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    That's probably why we always show 15th place or so, and have never gotten in the top 5 on ribs.

I always cook the same in competition and for my family.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I've done em both ways and its way over kill and too much work. I enjoy watching the show, but sometimes looks to me like a blind squirrel finding a nut.

Pull membrane. Rub both sides and let sit out 20-30 min before they hit a 250 degree egg. Take em for around 5 hrs and check the bend test.

Rub, smoke, and time. All I need.

XLBGE 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I am certainly no expert on anything as I am still pretty new to the Egg. But I have definitely found that I am perfectly happy letting the meat talk for itself. A very simple rub and a nice smoke is all I feel like I need. Not really into the sauces and marinades and brines. Just some seasoning (usually garlic, salt, and pepper) is all I need to make me happy.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I am certainly no expert on anything as I am still pretty new to the Egg. But I have definitely found that I am perfectly happy letting the meat talk for itself. A very simple rub and a nice smoke is all I feel like I need. Not really into the sauces and marinades and brines. Just some seasoning (usually garlic, salt, and pepper) is all I need to make me happy.

Daron - there are very few "experts" on here - can count them on one hand ( there are some I really respect).

Your comments are right on target.   I am not in the expert category either - (post count does not make one an expert).   I think you are on to something.

The wonderful thing about the Egg and this forum which we all learn from is - its all about what you like...

I come on here every day - offer my opinions - but I always am learning something from the experiences of others. 

Cookin in Texas
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    GreenhawK said:
    That's probably why we always show 15th place or so, and have never gotten in the top 5 on ribs.

I always cook the same in competition and for my family.  
    Are you talking about Johnny Trigg?  If so, it's pretty obvious you know nothing about his record.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Excuse me Bowhunr, but you need to read the post.  I was talking about my own competition team.

I know Johnny Trigg's ( The God Father of Ribs) record very well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    Sorry GreenhawK,

I did mis-read your post.  My bad.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Options
    It's personally my favorite method:

------------
    Beers & BBQ

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i must admit that I am fan of how many of the items taste that have been prepped like some of what appears on BBQ pitmasters is done......i guess i like my pork candy!!!!  LOL...but i understand that its not for everyone.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!