Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Washing Meat

I purchased some ribs the other day and a couple of TBONEs the other day and i notice that the meet smelled a little funny.  I know the meet was good and not rotten.  I also looked up that grocery stores add ink to make the food more desirable.  

So does anyone wash their meat, and does it change the taste after cooking.  i've brined a turkey and a couple of chicken but i have never washer or soaked beef or pork.

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Canada
Large @ Small BGE 

Comments

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Always wash my meat and never noticed a change in taste. Why do I do this? Not because I don't trust my butcher it is more about what little bits and pieces are left behind from the processing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I typically rinse pork and poultry. Sometimes beef if the saw was rough through the bone and looks like it left chips behind.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    I always rinse and dry meat or poultry, even if I am just getting ready to put it in a food saver bag.  There's always some chance of bacteria on the surface of the meat.  Why run any risks?
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I wash mine repeatedly.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I wash all my meat as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always wash fish.  Other than that, only if I drop it or it's slimy.
    my opinion is always wash no matter what it is...it couldn't hurt right?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I only wash chicken and fish.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    just finished rinsing a pork butt.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    Surface bacteria is all you'll wash off, and that gets killed quick when you cook.  I don't think you'll notice any taste difference.
    Never washing meat or

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Acn said:

Never washing meat or

Apologies, accidentally posted too quick. Also, there seems to be no way to delete or edit a post. Seems odd.

Back to my actual discussion on topic; never washing meat or poultry is one of the USDA guidelines I really follow. I agree with their point that if you properly cook your meat, there is no benefit to the wash, and if there is no benefit, why risk the cross contamination; or create an extra step of having to thoroughly wash and disinfect your sink.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    if it wasnt safe when i got it, i dont believe i could wash off the bad bugs, i just cook it now. i remember reading it was even more dangerous to wash chicken as the bad stuff splashed all over the sink,counter,your clothes etc causing even more problems. sometimes with chicken i dont even remove it from the tray to put the rub on
    :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Meats that have been cryo-vac'd often have an off smell. Frequently they are sealed w. added carbon dioxide, which creates a strange smell. When I get stuff like that, I do rinse it, just because its not pleasant.

But, from what I have read, washing contaminated meat is useless. It will remain contaminated, and worse, the contaminants will be spread over the whole surface. Poultry carcasses are particularly bad.

One great thing about BBQ is that the rubs, smoke, and vinegars all are wonderful ways to wipe out any bad stuff.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Arbucklej said:

my opinion is always wash no matter what it is...it couldn't hurt right?

I never wash meat because it could hurt - if the sink is not thoroughly washed the bacteria ifs just sitting there.

I pat meat dry, but I don't wash or rise it because I don't want the extra step of disinfecting my sink.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    All you're doing is messing up the sink and splattering raw meat stuff all over. Quite unsanitary. No washing!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    95% is rinsed. Most of the meat we have is frozen, so it is unwrapped in the sink anyway. I usually give it a quick rinse before prepping it. Never noticed any difference in taste vs those not rinsed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Washing is a good way to spread bacteria all over your kitchen sink area.
    Chester County, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sanitizing your kitchen sink area is a good way to prevent the spread of bacteria.

Hooray antibacterial wipes!
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    I can see everyone's point about not washing poultry, but the slimy blood mix in the bag around the chicken is kind of disgusting and makes the chicken slimy.  I feel better washing it and just wear nitrile gloves then use bleach in the sink. 
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    If I don't wash my meat, my wife notices. 
    :D
    XL BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I wash my meat extra after the gym...

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    It's Thursday eve. I suspect this thread will take a nose dive, not that it would be a bad thing. :D I wash any flesh of any kind. And leave it for a short while in a colander to drain off while I do the prep. Works well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    edited July 2013
    @Acn - you have up to an hour to edit a post after you click on the "Post Comment" button.   There's a little gear icon on the top right of your post.  Hover over it and click, then you'll see an edit button.  Click on that, edit, and hit Save Comment. 

As far as I know there's no way to delete posts (although you can delete all the content) unless you just get so obnoxious you get your account, and all your posts, revoked/deleted.
    If I don't wash my meat, my wife notices. 
    :D
    If I don't wash my meat, my wife doesn't notice per se... Since she has already noticed the rest of me smells. Thank goodness it always washes off. She'd throw her back out trying to dispose of me.