Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling stlcharcoal

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
Do you have a DFW dealer for me yet?   We really need a steady Rockwood fix in the metroplex....
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I would occasionally be able to get down there to pick up some too.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2013
    boatbum said:
    Do you have a DFW dealer for me yet?   We really need a steady Rockwood fix in the metroplex....

I thought you were going to be my dealer?!?!?!?!  :)

Nothing yet.  We added one in KC though.

• JPakaPope
    JPakaPope Posts: 32
    Who in KC? I travel through there often and last time filled my rental up with Ozark Oak. Smoke 'N' Fire? The Kansas City BBQ store?
    Ames, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal

The competition team R Butts R Smokin has it, and they're going to be distributing it to a few stores to get things moving out there for me.

If you go to our Where to Buy page, their contact info is available.  Or you can click here:

http://rbuttsrsmokinbbq.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/R-Butts-R-Smokin/208835722513244

• boatbum

I am going to talk to a local retailer - see if I could interest them in carrying the product - they have 3 retail outlets.

But not me ... I am not a dealer...

Cookin in Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    boatbum said:

I am going to talk to a local retailer - see if I could interest them in carrying the product - they have 3 retail outlets.

But not me ... I am not a dealer...

I know....I was just teasing ya.  I appreciate the leg work.  I'm crazy busy here in St. Louis.  As much as I would like to make a roadtrip to all the big cities and build interest, it's a year or two out.

First things first, I need a fulfillment company to ship out the individual bags those of you in areas we do not have a dealer.  I will use that sales data to get a dealer or distributor in the area where most of those online orders are going.

Bear with me......In the meantime I'll do my best to help my BGE brethren here on the board.  :)

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Is Rockwood available in the Atlanta area?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nobody likes Atlanta...

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23
    What's the smoke about rockwood?

This is making me HAVE to try it...

Can help you find a store here in Ottawa if you are interested. Big egg and BBQ town here.

Canada
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you can get it.. Do.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stlcharcoal
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Is Rockwood available in the Atlanta area?

No, not yet.  I had a BGE store in ATL contact me this morning about becoming a dealer.  I replied, but haven't heard back.  I had another inquiry a few weeks ago from the Duluth area.

Get a group buy together for now.  It's already worked in Denver and Nashville, get one going for ATL.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    thebaron said:
    What's the smoke about rockwood? This is making me HAVE to try it... Can help you find a store here in Ottawa if you are interested. Big egg and BBQ town here. Canada
    This might help: Rockwood Review
    The Naked Whiz
  • It's a great lump charcoal.  I was skeptical at first too, but after trying a couple of bags, I was convinced and it's all I use in BBQ competition and at home. Also, as a distributor for it in St. Louis, we can't keep on the shelves.  We have not got received one negative review back on it.   If you can get a group together to purchase it, you guys wont be disappointed. Jonathan is a stand up guy and will take care of you for sure. 
  • boatbum
    edited July 2013
    It's a great lump charcoal.  I was skeptical at first too, but after trying a couple of bags, I was convinced and it's all I use in BBQ competition and at home. Also, as a distributor for it in St. Louis, we can't keep on the shelves.  We have not got received one negative review back on it.   If you can get a group together to purchase it, you guys wont be disappointed. Jonathan is a stand up guy and will take care of you for sure. 

I had read NakedWhiz's reviews ( who I respect very much ), based on that I convinced him to send me some.  

I have done a few cooks with it - really like it. 

Believe that the charcoal you choose has a tremendous impact on low and slow cooks ( which I mainly do) -- so I am pretty picky.  

I went through 2-3 bags of Ozark Oak, it is a nice charcoal for higher temp cooks - but had to many core outs over night with it.  Will not use it for a low and slow cook any more.  It's fine for pizza or steaks - even chicken - but not for something that I want to maintain a low temp on for a long time.   Too old to get up at 3 when the Maverick goes off to rebuild the load on the Egg.

When I put something on at night, I do not even want to open the Egg till the next day when it is a probing temp.

thanks for your comments.

Cookin in Texas
  • thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23
    It'll likely be difficult to get a bag to try out up here in Ontario. We have some good ones here (Natures Own - Basques), but never can I find Ozark or Rockwood