Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter as baking stone?

I am planning to do pizzas, have a stone I have used in my oven, but..........  I see where some folks set their stone on the inverted plate setter which seems redundant to me.  I always use parchment paper (only way I can get pizza off the peel intact).  Is there any reason not to use the inverted plate setter as my baking stone?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Too hot!  You will carbonize your dough.  Use stone with at least 1 inch air gap between it and Plate Setter.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    If I can measure stone temp and hold at 500 it should work unless that is not possible to do?  I have a thermal imager and can measure the temp accurately, though I admittedly have not done so yet.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I've done many a single pizza using a 16" stone sitting on the plate setter, legs down.  Not sure about holding a particular temp for a long time for multiple pies, though.
    The Naked Whiz
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092

My set up is:

Plate setter feet up, cooking grate, then pizza stone, then 4 copper t's or AF balls on top of pizza stone for air flow so not charring the bottom of the pie...then the pizzas are constructed on Air Bake pizza pans http://www.target.com/p/airbake-pizza-pan-15-75/-/A-73892

Cook pie for 3-5 minutes at 500 degrees, depending on dough thickness. Slide the pie off directly on the stone (carefully removing T's...cook 3-5 more minutes until pie is done...easy peasy & the Air Bake pand can be used for sooo many other baking items... 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    You can't cook right on the setter, well anything you want to keep anyway, IMHO. The setter is acting as a heat shield and it gets really hot. For a dome of 400º I've had setter temps over 500º. Interesting that with a setter legs up, grid then stone, my best results are when the surface temp of my stone comes in at 400º when dome thermo (calibrated) reads 550. This combo works well for me. It all depends on your dough moisture, sauce and toppings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    nope, won't work. Need a pizza stone with spacers between the platesetter and the stone.
    Cookin in Texas
  • TamaleTim
    TamaleTim Posts: 24
    I'm completely new and have been lurking for a few weeks since getting an LBGE for Father's Day. I'm sure I don't know what I'm doing, but I had great success with pizza a week ago.  I put the BGE stone directly on the platesetter with legs down.  

I decided to go for the super hot pizza oven effect.  I had the temperature maxed out (needle buried) for at least a half hour before cooking.  I cooked thin crust pizzas with a bit of sauce and cheese and other toppings.  They turned out perfectly crispy on the bottom and the cheese was nicely/slightly brown on top after only 2-3 minutes of total cooking.  I slid the pizzas directly off a wood peel, so did not have to open during cook to remove any wax paper.  The whole family loved their individually made pizzas!
  • bjadams
    bjadams Posts: 28
    I bake pizza and bread with a baking stone set directly on the place setter and I've found that this works better than baking with a space between the place setter and stone. Just my experience. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I had a Large platesetter's leg break on me.  Got a new one through the warranty process, and was able to keep the old one.  I cut the other two legs off with a masonry wheel on my grinder and viola......an pizza stone!

Not sure what I need two pizza stones for now when I have a baking steel.  :/