Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pineapple Nigerian Prawn Bacon Explosion

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,829
This is what happens when you let your 16 year old plan dinner.  Frankly, it doesn't taste that great, but we had a great time making it.  Especially since he was able to torment his mother (who doesn't care for seafood).  The best part of the night was just before he cleaned the prawns - when he used the prawn to re-enact the "alien out of my stomach scene" from "Alien" and chase her around the kitchen. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Two words: jeen... yus.

Your son is a funny dude.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Big props to playing, egging, and killing some time with your son! Bacon wrapped anything can't be half bad 

XLBGE 
  • Foghorn

@Eggcelsior, Thanks.  Another funny part is that as we were taking it off the egg he said something to the effect of "You know, as I was planning this, I never actually thought about how it would taste."

@MrCookingNurse, yeah we had a good time with it.  And it is very edible - you know - in a "some cafeteria food tastes pretty good" kinda way.  It just isn't up to our usual "we put a lot of planning and effort into a cook on the egg" standards.  But now we have a memory that we can laugh about forever. And some leftovers...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Being creative is liberating. Great learning experience. Nice. 
    A+ for all the work. We are sure going to miss you guys this year in Salado.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    @Mickey, my son was just asking when we are going to our next Eggfest.  Salado is not an option for him because he will be on a trip to Japan through his school.  When is the next one in Texas?

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    @nolaegghead, Thanks.  We're not done with this - like Edison with the lightbulb.  Next time we plan to get 4 prawns and he will do something with two, while I try a different option with the other two.  We'll see if we can get it right before he leaves for college in 2 years....

San Antonio, TX

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    What a waste of some good looking prawns.  What were you thinking?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Foghorn said:
    @Mickey, my son was just asking when we are going to our next Eggfest.  Salado is not an option for him because he will be on a trip to Japan through his school.  When is the next one in Texas?
    The next Texas is Plano Nov 2nd. Then Salado March 15th. Will you be able to make it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    What a waste of some good looking prawns.  What were you thinking?

I was thinking I would let my son have total creative control.  I didn't think it was a particularly good cooking idea but he's such a good kid I figured I'd just go along with it.  Because I allowed him to do it, he probably learned more from this than anything I could tell/teach him (he's a good kid, but there is still some resistance to learning from one's parents) - so ultimately we got 2 edible meals and a memory that will make us laugh for years for about $50 (this includes the chicken we cooked for my wife and the asparagus and bread to complete the meal).  I have no regrets and as I mentioned earlier, we'll probably do it again and do something much better the next time. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn

"The next Texas is Plano Nov 2nd. Then Salado March 15th. Will you be able to make it?"

I'll see what I can work out for Nov 2.  We have to get through the summer and get my daughter off to her freshman year at A&M before we can plan anything after Labor Day. 

Oh yeah, Labor Day my son and I are going fishing in South Padre with another father/son pair.  With any luck we'll fill the freezer with more seafood to "waste".

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Sounds like you're way ahead if all that cost only $50. I think its awesome that your son shares this interest with you. I learned a lot by hanging around with my mom in the kitchen. She would take me shopping when I was a young kid, and I learned how to buy fresh meat, fish, veg, etc. Those lessons have stayed with me, and I'm sure they will stay with your son too. Its not often that you find a teenager like him!

What about setting his sights on the Chopped for teenagers?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn

"What about setting his sights on the Chopped for teenagers?"

@caliking, he says he'd have a hard time if they don't have at least 1/2 lb of bacon on the list of ingredients for every cook.

San Antonio, TX