Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Salute to Meat!

Options
djmsalem
djmsalem Posts: 46
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I have started this annual party where we let the Egg be the star of the show, with a little help from pork shoulder, spare ribs, brisket, rib eye and kielbasa. We had the third annual party Saturday and the Egg produced this for 42 people:
  • 15 lbs. of pork shoulder (we have four lbs. left over)
  • 9 racks of St. Louis style spare ribs (we have three left over but could have used one more; I put them away too soon)
  • 6 lbs of Kielbasa (we have one pound left over)
  • 12 pounds of brisket (we have five lbs. left over)
  • 8 pounds of 40-day, home-dry-aged ribeye (nothing left over)
Plus your normal salads and desserts and whathaveyou.

I was pleased with the meats, particularly the pulled pork, ribs and steak. I think the brisket came out a little dry, and suffered from cooking and reheating. I started the pork shoulder on Wednesday morning and pulled it 18 hours later, early Thursday morning. I smoked the briskets and three racks of ribs on Friday and the last six racks on Saturday. Also Saturday: the kielbasa and the ribeyes.

The steaks came from a Costco $6.49/lb ribeye that I aged on a rack in an otherwise low-use refrigerator for 40 days before trimming and cutting into 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-inch steaks, about 2 lbs. each. I cooked them at 225 indirect until their internal temp was 120 degrees then pulled them off the heat and ran the Egg up to 700 direct. I gave them 90 seconds on two sides and about 45 seconds on the other two sides, then let them rest for 20 minutes before slicing. We served them sliced on a thin slice of baguette on top of caramelized onions and mountain gorgonzola.

I'm attaching a couple of not-wonderful pictures, including the best picture of me that anyone has ever taken. It's my first time posting photos, so I hope you can see them.

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top

Comments