Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smithfield pork shoulder odor?

Has anyone had experience with Smithfield pork shoulders having an odor to them?

This is the second one I've bought that has been like this.. Neither one had a packing date on them.. I kept the first one refrigerated for a week before opening it. Threw it out to be safe (cooking for a party tomorrow). The second one, purchased tonight and opened immediately, smelled the same.. There was no slimy residue or green tint to it.

I rinsed it off and noticed the odor had gone away.. I'm just wondering if maybe it's the packing solution causing this..

Thoughts?
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Cryovac pork can have an odor. If it smelled ok after rinsing you should be good. If it still smells bad after rinsing I'd throw it out.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Many cryovaced things can get that sulfur-like smell when opening. I believe it is due to the lack of oxygen in the bag and the oxygen-voiding process to prevent spoilage.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Ok.. This is good info.. Guess it's not just the brand. I was worried I might have just been grabbing ones that had been in the bin for awhile since there wasn't a packing date.

Also, the cryovac butts I've bought from Sam's have never smelled like this.
    LBGE
  • It's very common and don't throw it out even after rinsing. Give it an hour or so after rinsing if it still smells after the rinse. I've cracked hundreds of smelly cryo bags at the shop and at home. Never had one single bad one after some time in the air. Some of them have been really smelly but once aired out, All good. If its not slimy or discolored, you are fine (botulinum is the real bad boy of cryo packed foods and its odorless and tasteless). The smell is More common with pork and chicken but we cracked a bunch of prime steaks that cleared the restaurant kitchen for 10 minutes that were freaking awesome after they aired out. It does not affect the flavor of the meat. I guess all I can say is "trust me" but I hope you are smarter than that :)).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • It's very common and don't throw it out even after rinsing. Give it an hour or so after rinsing if it still smells after the rinse. I've cracked hundreds of smelly cryo bags at the shop and at home. Never had one single bad one after some time in the air. Some of them have been really smelly but once aired out, All good. If its not slimy or discolored, you are fine (botulinum is the real bad boy of cryo packed foods and its odorless and tasteless). The smell is More common with pork and chicken but we cracked a bunch of prime steaks that cleared the restaurant kitchen for 10 minutes that were freaking awesome after they aired out. It does not affect the flavor of the meat. I guess all I can say is "trust me" but I hope you are smarter than that :)).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Believe it or not... my meat "guy" told me that the meat from an uncastrated boar will have an unpleasant odor. That could be what accounts for your odor problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Believe it or not... my meat "guy" told me that the meat from an uncastrated boar will have an unpleasant odor. That could be what accounts for your odor problem.
    Interesting
    LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Interesting
    I thought so too. Did a Google search after he told me and, based on a very cursory look, it seems to be the case.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.