Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement Preference

Received the new gasket from the mother ship and am wondering what everyone's preference is for replacement.  Don't know if there is enough for both top and bottom so which should I replace if only doing one half?
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I just put the Rutland on my XL yesterday. I put it on the base.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Hoof, Funny you asked this as I was thinking the same thing today watching a YouTube video on replacing. Is there really a need to do not top and bottom? Any advantage one way or the other? And FYI, I would also be using the replacement gasket from BGE.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    I purchased a used small and had to replace the gasket. I got the Hi Que Nomex gasket, it was easy to install and is working great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Rutland the way to go, use the nomex to line your CI DFMT and ceramic cap.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I replaced my original gasket with a Rutland last year, base only.

It greatly improved the overall performance of my Large egg.

When my Mini needs a new one, it will be Rutland also.

No question.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I can't imagine the mothership would only send you enough for one half. Of course you could choose to only do one half. I haven't done it but I've heard of some folks only putting gasket on the top so there's no base gasket to drip sauces on.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I just put the Rutland on mine as well. Bottom only. Only way to go in my opinion!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I had the Rutland on my old BGE and really liked it.  Got new BGE, immediately fried the gasket and replaced it with the self adhesive one that the mothership sent.  It was very easy to install and is working great and that includes pizza one night a week.
  • Tomcat225
    Tomcat225 Posts: 41
    I've been happy with the hi que so far.
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    There was enough gasket to replace both base and lid.  Plus enough left over to put a piece around the smoke stack at top

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Do just one side. The hi que is thick enough to hold a good seal with just one side. I do the lid and not the bottom. This way I don't spill anything on it and it stays nice and clean
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I like the idea of a gasket on both the dome and base, makes for trouble free routing of the temp probe wires, the gaskets form around the wire. Also, the wire is not being pressed by a hard ceramic edge. 
    Considering I use over $400 worth of lump a year, spending $30 for a new Nomex once a year is not a big deal, IMO. Although Rutland is a go to for my wood stove, I'm still not convinced on the use of graphite impregnated glass near what I eat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    good point with the money comparison