Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got CI skillet. Tell me everything about pizza cooking!

Options
Got an early birthday present of a cast iron skillet and dutch oven. I want to make some deep dish pizza later and need some advice.

I don't need to heat up the skillet before hand do I? I put the pizza together on the skillet, then put it in the grill correct?

What about the BGE setup...do I put the skillet directly on the plate setter? Direct heat and put the skillet on the grate?

Also, how do I get a nice greasy, buttery crust (the kind that leaves your fingers shiny)? 

What temp is the best to use?

Thanks for the help folks, it's much appreciated!

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Do a search for Zippylip Pizza Dough, or check out @Griffin's blog griffins grub. He uses the zippylip dough a chronicles exactly how to cook it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No, you do not heat up the skillet before hand. You do need to oil it, I use Crisco. The dough has to be moist, much moister than regular dough. I cook deep dish at <500, target around 450. Zippy's is good. I use setter legs up and skillet right on the felt level grid. 
    I like cheese in the bottom, followed by well drained canned tomatoes, half cooked Italian sausage then more cheese. The filling cannot be too moist, otherwise the pie will be runny. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153628/deep-dish-pizza-odyssey#latest  I cant help you with the buttery crust.  I did add some butter to the store we bought and it was noticeable.

Good luck. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The biggest thing on skillet pies is to take the cheese all the way to the wall f the skillet. It makes a cheese gasket that is killer. Because the pie is so thick you can really pile on the toppings. I actually use fresh slices of tomato as te base instead of sauce. I go platesetter legs down, ceramic feet, Skillet.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    I got a late start (as you can see by the clock!) so I just kind of threw it together quick. It was good, but with some more TLC, it could be much better.