Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Shots on the Grid Extender

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
We had a birthday potluck at work which gave me an opportunity to try out my Grid Extender set up with a 16.5" stainless grid from CGS on top of my PS Woo 2 in the LBGE. I put together 48 pig shots to split up on the grids:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I had a little extra bacon and a little extra brown sugar/rub mix so I fillled the open space with some pig candy: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

About 80-85 minutes later the pig shots were done (and the pig candy consumed by the cook): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The pig shots disappeared quickly at work.

The 16.5" grid fit great without the grid extender spacer but came in contact with the dome when I put the spacer on. A little tight for my liking with the spacer. Quality of the grid is great but I didn't get a chance to put any significant weight on it to test the set up for sagging.

Thx for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Niiiiiiiice. Jalapeños in cream cheese for the filling? Like the pig candy.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Great looking cook. I also use the whole set up on top of my Woo3. I went with a med grid on top of a 18"BGE grid and going without the spacer.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I use hot diced green chiles which are not as hot as jalapeños. I try not to make them too hot for my co-workers. 4-cheese mexican blend was also mixed with the cream cheese.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Great idea with the cheese. I used a very spicy salsa on mine last week. Kept me from eating everything. What did you use for the base? I used smoked sausage.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    hapster said:
    Great looking cook. I also use the whole set up on top of my Woo3. I went with a med grid on top of a 18"BGE grid and going without the spacer.

Thanks Hap! Any contact between the dome and med grid if you use the spacer?

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Great idea with the cheese. I used a very spicy salsa on mine last week. Kept me from eating everything. What did you use for the base? I used smoked sausage.

I used polska kielbasa (made with beef & pork) for the base.

Bay Area, CA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

hapster said:

Thanks Hap! Any contact between the dome and med grid if you use the spacer?

Not that I can see. Now, the first cook I did was with a bunch of ribs, the tips of the top rack brushed the dome a little. Once they shrunk up a bit, it wasn't an issue.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Nice Job, those look very very tasty.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Was this an indirect cook? What temp did you cook them at? They look great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thx! Yes, an indirect cook. Temps were in the 280-300 range.

Bay Area, CA
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Holy crap those look good. I've heard of pick shots over and over on this forum since I've joined but never knew what they really were. Your post with the great pictures forced me to go look up the recipe.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio