Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook a sucess!!!

CANMAN1976
CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
So got my first cook in the books chicken breast,wings and corn the family loved it!!!!

One question tho how long should it take the egg to shut down to zero once snuffed with cap and vents shut? I was cooking direct at 400 for 1.5 hrs or so.

Few pics for you.oh and I love it already!!!image
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    cool down can take several hours.

congrats on the cook, the egg is a game changer.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yeah the old first cook. Only owned an egg for a year I think I have easily passed 100 cooks. Have fun
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited June 2013
    Nice first cook. Welcome aboard. I shut down my Egg an hour or so ago after a 500 degree pizza cook and it's still 300. Remember, If Egg gets down to zero you need to calibrate your thermo, unless cooking up north in winter. My Egg was almost 100 today before even lighting it.
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Welcome to the cult from Texas, home of the brisket and the worlds best BBQ. You have passed the initiation. Your path the grilling enlightenment will require the singeing of arm hair and eyebrows, smelling of smoke for at least 12 hours and finally having your neighbors, friends and family asking what you are cooking next. I like the varnished finish on your table.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Didn't wate any time getting AR. Wish I found this forum before I bought my platesetter. Great lookin dinner. How'd you do the wings?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Must be nice, First cook and an AR in use, Somebody was following this forum b4 they stared Eggin  =D>

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• CANMAN1976
    Done the wings and whole breast all raised direct at 400 or so and it was awesome!

My youngest daughter said it wasn't good but it was great!!!! Made it all worth it .Next time I'll let the lump burn off maybe 15 min longer.She isn't even cool and I wanna start over again.... Ribs next w/e for sure!!!!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Awesome man....long time coming, but you nailed it!
    edited June 2013
    AR is a neat piece of equipment it's pure quality and does what is supposed to well.So glad you guys accepted me even tho I was eggless for so long.
    Next question is to cover or not to cover ....not so much for the egg itself but for preserving the table???

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Way to break in the egg! Complements from the little ones are always great! =D> well done!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • She looks so clean! Good looking cook. It's a fun way to cook and eat really well.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    AR is a neat piece of equipment it's pure quality and does what is supposed to well.So glad you guys accepted me even tho I was eggless for so long. Next question is to cover or not to cover ....not so much for the egg itself but for preserving the table???
    If it's out in the rain and sun, I recommend covering.  And a sealer on the wood.
    I like the dinner bell above the egg. Nice first cook. Well done and congrats
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CANMAN1976
    It has three costs of spar urethane guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You go girl.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    It has three costs of spar urethane guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.
    I think the finish will last longer. UV and precip is tough on varnish.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited June 2013
    ... guess a cover is a good idea too to protect the wood.
    Great first cook with AR to boot!  I don't cover my eggs but I have no tables to protect.  Be careful with the ceramic cap when you remove the cover, it's easy to drag it off the dome with the cover.
    canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Well done Canman!  =D>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Thanks y'all it was fun and overdue next it's ribs or pizza! <:-P

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    egger ave said:
    Welcome to the cult from Texas, home of the brisket and the worlds best BBQ. You have passed the initiation. Your path the grilling enlightenment will require the singeing of arm hair and eyebrows, smelling of smoke for at least 12 hours and finally having your neighbors, friends and family asking what you are cooking next. I like the varnished finish on your table.
    I am glad he was able to separate brisket from BBQ. Also, the best BBQ comes from the Carolina's... or your own backyard...  ;)

Let the games begin!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Now you will be spending all of your time thinking about what to cook next, lol. Good job!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Jamie - welcome to our world. Nice cook, for a guy that had months to prepare, you hit the mark. 
    Nothing like having your egg on one side and one of your favourite ladies on the other!
    And your choice of adult beverage literally has my name on it!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Rock on, Canman!  Good looking cook and great looking setup.

BGE won't look that clean long! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    egger ave said:
    I am glad he was able to separate brisket from BBQ. Also, the best BBQ comes from the Carolina's... or your own backyard...  ;)

Let the games begin!
    Everyone knows Memphis BBQ is the best.. come one now.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum