Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting Question?

So finally after way to long I'm going to light my new egg when I get it assembled tomorrow evening.

One question though when lighting with a propane torch (3 spots) do I leave the dome open for ten or so minutes after the lump is lit ? I read somewhere only to leave the dome open for a few min when using starter cubes,is this so?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No. Close the dome as soon as you light.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Thanks Mickey!!!
    So full bottle of lighter fluid,light in three spots and close dome right?

Im Just kidding! <:-P
    Post pis tomorrow nite:)

• Mickey
    edited June 2013
    Brother you have a lot of people looking over your shoulder. No pressure friend. (Just kidding ) =)) My advice to you is stop thinking. Enjoy the brotherhood / cult / Wiccan / Eggheads........ 99.5% of what could get screwed up can still be eaten ( except my wings that day ).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FireTower
    FireTower Posts: 69
    edited June 2013
    An electric coal starter is an incredibly convenient and cost-effective method for starting a fire in your egg. 
    The electric starter is my primary fire starting method. All you have ot do is plug it in, put it in the coals and take it out 8 minutes later. 

• Mickey
    This is faster. image

• CANMAN1976
    Do I still need to keep the first few cooks below a certain temp for the gasket to cure? It's the newer style gasket so not sure if this still applies?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mickey said:
    This is faster. image
    Man, I truly do worry about you. All that wood around, grease fires and a flamethrower. Seriously.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Michael the flooring is plastic (Trex) and the house concrete ( Hardy Plank). The roof is steel. Not sure i could burn it down.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Yes, definitely close the egg, but leave the daisy wheel off and draft open to get the burn off and get to your desired temp.  I actually light mine is four places, but three is probably fine.

And FWIW, the torch method is far better than the electric starter.......less time, more effective and actually probably more cost effective without the need for extension cords or an electrical source.  I've seen and tried both. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have the same "starter" as Mickey. Quick and easy. And it was cheap too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Mickey said:
    Michael the flooring is plastic (Trex) and the house concrete ( Hardy Plank). The roof is steel. Not sure i could burn it down.
    I didn't realize that. Should be fun when the trex melts out from under you.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I do the Looft Lighter and it is awesome.  Guess that I need to figure out what to do when the power goes out.
    Milton, GA.
  • CANMAN1976

As fun as that weed burner looks Mickey I think I will stick to my torch as my deck is wood not Trex!! Ive Gotta hose and extinqisher nearby just in case I need it too!!!

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Mapp gas. Something inherently wrong with running extension cord to the egg to light a fire.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Thanks Mickey!!! So full bottle of lighter fluid,light in three spots and close dome right? Im Just kidding! <:-P Post pis tomorrow nite:)
    The only acceptable lighter fluid is Pusser or Lamb's - used sparingly of course. Good luck and I'll be looking east for the smoke!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Left the mapp torch for electric. Easier and faster
    Seattle, WA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    flynnbob said:
    I do the Looft Lighter and it is awesome.  Guess that I need to figure out what to do when the power goes out.
    +1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013

When the power goes out, a couple of wads of paper towel soaked with vegetable oil will do the trick. It will smoke like crazy until the oil burns off but it will get your lump lit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Electric, propane, mapp, paper towel, cubes, 91% alcohol, we pretty much agree.
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    I didn't realize that. Should be fun when the trex melts out from under you.  :D

Michael you have to make the Salado Fest one of these days and see how people live who don't put beans in chili (it's a whole different world out there). X_X

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ozark Oak lights itself. Even has a timer for easier lighting.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@flynnbob, I am interested in a Looftlighter.  Tell me, does it create sparks like a MAPP torch, which I use now? Thanks

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    jaydub58 said:

@flynnbob, I am interested in a Looftlighter.  Tell me, does it create sparks like a MAPP torch, which I use now? Thanks

It does and it "does" work well.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    edited June 2013
    jaydub58 said:

John this is sparks in Texas. What you are talking about? We will swap stories when I come to your Seaside. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    jaydub58 said:

Sparks when using the LL are minimal.  I can light the BGE between 2 to 3 minutes max.  Get one, you will be glad you did and you wont set your hair on fire!
    Milton, GA.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Whoa, Mickey, that's serious sparks!

I was just asking about throwing sparks out on our new Timber-Tech deck surface.  Much of that, and SWMBO will tear out what little hair I have left by the roots! 

We will be waiting to host you in our Seaside, tour cliffs, etc.................................

Flynnbob, you are makin the L sound pretty good; thanks.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2013
    I have often heard that looftlighters are good for about a year and then they die. Is that not the case or am I just misremembering?

Mickey, if you are going to force feed me meat sauce without beans, I ain't comin' within 1000 miles of Salado!! 
    :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use 91% alcohol which burns clean and no sparks.  Just a few squirts and toss  in a match. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA