Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt question..On the egg now

Tbonez3858
Tbonez3858 Posts: 102
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
I put a couple of pound butts on last night at 350. I got up multiple times to check and the temp was locked on 250 all night. I checked temp at 9:00am and the temp is only at 145. We are eating at 1:00 today so I went ahead and wrapped based off of the recommendation from a friend. Has anyone heard of a butt cooking this slow? I was told 1.5 hours per pound was typically a good guide...This is my first time smoking a butt so I'm a self proclaimed idiot at this point. Amy thoughts?

Comments

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Cooking at 230-250 temp, my b. butts take exactly 2 hous per pound.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Tbonez3858
    Interesting...sounds like I shorted myself on the time..I hope the foil brings them up quickly.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    The foil should have them done easily, maybe 2 hours.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    JRWhitee said:
    The foil should have them done easily, maybe 2 hours.

+1.  Assuming you are cooking them at about 350 in the foil.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Some can do them at 1.5 hours, others at 2 hours per pound. You just have to do a couple and get a feel for your egg. I was in your same shoes when doing my 1st butt. You probably can crank up the heat on it now to 300/325. If it has been on for as long as you say it has, you are not going to hurt that meat by turning up the temp.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Tbonez3858
    I'm at 325 right now...you guys think I should bump to 350? Thanks for the info! It's greatly appreciated.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    If it is foiled, you can increase the temperature as high as 400 degrees.  Don't forget to allow a rest period -- it might be a little tough to pull since it was wrapped at 145, where 160 is the key wrapping temperature.  This being the case, IF(?) you have any extra time at the end of the cook, i would try to cook it to 210 degrees -- without sacrificing the rest period though.
  • Tbonez3858
    Ok...I will pull it up to 210.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Besides relying on the internal temp, use your senses. Does the bone wiggle easily?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Tbonez3858
    No..The bone is still fairly firm, or at least it was when I foiled them. I did the boil test on my digital thermometer and it's about 5 degrees short. It's showing 155 right now...Seems very slow.