Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Pizza Odyssey

Options
First and foremost, the pics that are seen with the cast iron pan are of a pan that my Great Grandmother used to make fried chicken in.  I found the CI in my Dad's shop rusted to hell.  I put it in the egg at the hottest temps I could get for 30 minutes and rubbed it down with wadded aluminum foil.  I then put it in a bath of vinegar and rubbed it down again before putting in a 500 degree oven and EVOOing it for a couple hours to recondition it.  I probably should have just bought a new one but it meant a lot to my Dad that I put all the work into it and it is being used again.  

Now for the pizza! I did not make my own dough.  I used Trader Joe's dough (really good stuff).  My wife worked it with some flour and got it worked into the Cast Iron skillet that had a generous amount of EVOO in it. I have to give my wife lots of credit here.  She was instrumental in working the dough and building the pizza while I drank outside and handled the egg :)   

I then added a layer of mozzarella cheese, sauce, sausage, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms...

I then add LOTS more cheese. Here is right before I add it to the Egg that is settled in at a temp of 430 degrees(dome temp).

It was on the egg for exactly 38 minutes.  I rotated it a third of a rotation every 15 minutes.  The topping looked brown and the crust was done so I pulled it and took it out of the CI. 

The crust was PERFECT!

Here is a picture of the top...

And here is the finished product.  The crust was perfect!!! This is not the best pizza I have ever had, but it is better than any pizza we can get within 50 miles of where I live. 

LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments